B Is time dependent on motion?

Is time dependent on the motion of everything in the universe? If all motion was played in reverse, so particles gain kinetic energy from sound and heat energy as they move the opposite direction, and light retreats into the sun, would time technically now be flowing backwards? If all matter (so there are no reference frames) did not exist, would time exist?

Is time dependent on the motion of everything in the universe?
No. Perhaps you are confused by time dilation? Do you understand that concept?

If all motion was played in reverse, so particles gain kinetic energy from sound and heat energy as they move the opposite direction, and light retreats into the sun, would time technically now be flowing backwards? If all matter (so there are no reference frames) did not exist, would time exist?
It sounds to me like you are asking "if time were reversed, would it look like time was reversed?"

No. Perhaps you are confused by time dilation? Do you understand that concept?

It sounds to me like you are asking "if time were reversed, would it look like time was reversed?"
Well I guess that answers my question, thanks.

But, I'm curious, is it possible for time to reverse for certain things, but not for others? Can some particles act like I mentioned, while others act like they do now?

Nugatory

Mentor
No.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic