Is Time Emerging?

I saw a post recently which said that time is an emerging phenomenon from quantum entanglement, physicists conducted an experiment which shows that time is static for an outside observer of the universe and only flows due to entanglement for inside observers. Does this imply that if entanglement didn't exist, time wouldn't? However, physicist Ron Maimon stated that this experiment is "It's press nonsense. It's "quantum collapse" and "measurement" emerging from entanglement, i.e. many-worlds interpretation"

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxi...w-time-emerges-from-entanglement-d5d3dc850933

Sean Carroll has a post which talks of spacetime being emerging too.

http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2016/07/18/space-emerging-from-quantum-mechanics/

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I saw a post recently which said that time is an emerging phenomenon from quantum entanglement, physicists conducted an experiment which shows that time is static for an outside observer of the universe...
I think that automatically doesn't make any sense since there IS no such thing as "an outside observer".

Sean Carroll has a post which talks of spacetime being emerging too.
Which, as he states, is entirely speculative.

has cited this paper in one of his articles (to which I unfortunately don't have access).
It's on Arxiv but it's just mentioned in passing.
(For related approaches, not directly referring to many worlds, see also [45, 46, 47, 48].)

Likes Demystifier
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Likes Demystifier, Dale, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person