Is Time Constant Across the Universe or Does it Change Over Billions of Years?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time and how it relates to the theory of relativity and the creation of the universe. The speaker, a retired science teacher, questions whether the speed of matter in the universe has been slowing down over billions of years, making it difficult to determine the exact beginning of the universe. They also suggest using an atomic clock to measure time differences between a moving object and a stationary one, and ponder the implications of this on the idea of creation.
Ed Slade
I have a question. I’m 74 and have taught science to high school students for much of my life. I only have a lowly Bachelor of Education degree so my knowledge of the subject is pretty limited. I did manage to get through a second year physics class, though. Since retiring I have read Brian Greene’s and Stephen Hawking’s books as well as one by Lee Smolin. I’ve also read at least one biography of Einstein as well as the 2004 book called Big Bang by Simon Singh. Not nearly enough to get all the answers but enough to give me an idea that I haven’t seen in any of these books. Perhaps others have had this question as well. Here is how it goes.
Brian Greene states in his books that Einstein’s theory of relativity states that the speed of our motion through space added to our speed through time always equals the speed of light. The fifteen billion years to the time of the big bang is measured by today’s watches. I’m wondering if it might be that all matter of the universe could have been traveling at a much faster speed through space back then and if a second on our watches of today would be much more than a second back then. In other words is it possible that the matter in the universe has been slowing down imperceptibly over these billions of years. So imperceptibly that it cannot be detected by our most accurate watches of today. Maybe a second today might be an hour 10 million years ago, a day 100 million years ago, a year a billion years ago, 10 million years 10 billion years ago and an infinity 15 billion of our years ago. All the stuff that was supposed to happen in the first few fractions of a second would have taken billions of years or more by the watches of that time and the 300,000 years for matter to start forming would have been trillions or gazillions of years by those same watches. Finding the beginning could be like trying to find the point on the number line corresponding to the root of two or pi.
The reverse would take place in the future. A billion years from now a million years by our watches might be a mere second by the watches of that time. Assuming that matter can never stop it would mean it would go on forever simply getting slower all the time and time stretching out. Someone living then would never be aware of the changes any more than we are. All would seem normal. It would all be “relative”.
What I’m wondering is if we can put an atomic clock on a super-sonic jet and send it around the world to show that it shows a different time than one sitting still on the ground is it possible that one placed on a rock floating in space a billion years ago would have a different reading as well, assuming all else was the same.
Would this mean, however, that there was no such thing as creation? I suppose it can always be argued, though, that something had to get the ball rolling.

Physics news on Phys.org
You solved it. Check your PO Box, Nobel Prize arriving shortly via Priority Mail.

1. Is there a definitive answer to whether time is finite or infinite?

No, there is currently no definitive answer to this question. It is a topic of ongoing debate and study among scientists and philosophers.

2. What evidence supports the idea that time is finite?

Some scientists argue that the concept of a beginning and an end to time is supported by the Big Bang theory, which suggests that the universe had a definite starting point and will eventually come to an end. Other evidence includes the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the universe is constantly moving towards a state of maximum disorder.

3. What evidence suggests that time is infinite?

Some scientists argue that the concept of infinity is more consistent with our current understanding of the universe. The laws of physics, such as the conservation of energy, suggest that time could continue infinitely without a beginning or an end. Additionally, the concept of infinity is often used in mathematical models of the universe.

4. How do different theories of time affect the question of finitude or infinity?

There are various theories of time, such as the block universe theory and the growing block universe theory. These theories have different implications for the finitude or infinity of time. For example, the block universe theory suggests that time is a fixed, four-dimensional block, while the growing block universe theory suggests that time is constantly expanding. These theories offer different perspectives on the question, but do not necessarily provide a definitive answer.

5. Can we ever truly know if time is finite or infinite?

This is a philosophical question that may never have a definitive answer. It is possible that human understanding and technology may advance to a point where we can better understand the nature of time, but the concept of infinity may always remain beyond our full comprehension.