Is time in the universe constant?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativity and the possibility of time travel through different speeds and gravity. The participants question if it would be possible for two people in different locations to experience different times and if they could potentially meet in the past. The concept is confusing and the idea of time dilation is explained through the theories of relativity.
cosmic time
I'm thinking of a way to defend my authroity against a peer who has threaten to take me down in a debate (LOL).
Im I am thinking, say your moving close at the speed of sound, and then you suddenly stop, time around you is supposed to get slower, and potentially go back in time. How would it seem to be an observer? WOuld you seen slower than you actually are moving? Would everything int he universe get slower to keep up with you speed? That would form a paradox, just about everything int he universe is moving at different speeds, how would this be possible?

My question is would it be possible to have 2 different times in two different places? If not... then say after this 'trip' the two people (observer and the runner) meets up, would the runner meet the observer in the past? This concept, i just can't understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the first half of your post doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but...
cosmic time said:
My question is would it be possible to have 2 different times in two different places?
Certainly. Time is observer dependant.
If not... then say after this 'trip' the two people (observer and the runner) meets up, would the runner meet the observer in the past? This concept, i just can't understand.
Two people who start out next to each other with synchronized clocks may or may not have synchronized clocks at the end of their "trip".

cosmic time said:
Im I am thinking, say your moving close at the speed of sound, and then you suddenly stop, time around you is supposed to get slower...

Sounds like you are thinking of the speed of light.

cosmic time said:
...and potentially go back in time.

Sounds like you are recalling something someone told you about traveling faster than light (just not very well).

cosmic time said:
How would it seem to be an observer? WOuld you seen slower than you actually are moving? Would everything int he universe get slower to keep up with you speed?

I understand relativity by thinking of two types of time dilation. One that is symmetrical, caused by relative motion where you see each other's clocks go slower than your own. One that is asymmetrical in that you can both agree on who is running slow, caused by gravity. Your own clocks never seem odd until you compare it to someone elses, going at a different speed.

When a physicist says "clock" in relativity, it normally means the underlying time-system rather than just a mechanical device prone to error.

cosmic time said:
That would form a paradox, just about everything int he universe is moving at different speeds, how would this be possible?

Through the behaviour as described by the theories of relativity.

cosmic time said:
My question is would it be possible to have 2 different times in two different places? If not... then say after this 'trip' the two people (observer and the runner) meets up, would the runner meet the observer in the past? This concept, i just can't understand.

According to relativity, if they both travel at sub-light speeds there is no time travel going on. Aging at different speeds is allowed though.

Im I am thinking, say your moving close at the speed of sound, and then you suddenly stop, time around you is supposed to get slower, and potentially go back in time.
apparently you are confussing time with a bus ride, when a bus stops suddenly every thing falls forward. well it is way complicated then that

1. Is time in the universe constant?

The concept of time in the universe is a complex and debated topic among scientists. Some theories suggest that time is a constant and unchanging part of the fabric of the universe, while others propose that it can be affected by various factors such as gravity and the expansion of the universe.

2. How do scientists measure time in the universe?

Scientists use various methods to measure time in the universe, such as atomic clocks and astronomical observations. These methods are based on the regular and predictable movements of celestial objects, which can be used to create a standard unit of time.

3. Can time be affected by the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time can be affected by the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object relative to an observer. This is known as time dilation.

4. Does time move differently in different parts of the universe?

Some theories suggest that time can move at different rates in different parts of the universe. This is due to the effects of gravity and the expansion of the universe, which can cause time to pass at a different pace in different regions.

5. Can time be reversed in the universe?

While some theories propose the concept of time travel or reversing time, there is currently no scientific evidence to support this idea. The laws of physics suggest that time can only move forward and cannot be reversed.