1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is time slowing down?

1. Aug 13, 2010 #1
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2
    Interesting stuff! I'm disappointed that no one has commented...c'mon, people...

To me, the slowing of time seems more sensible than dark energy.

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3
    In the first link, not enough information is given. What does it mean for time to "slow down" yet allow us to see the effects of it? In any case, we still have the issue that the universal expansion rate has changed and was not always speeding up.

Second link: see other discussions on this forum. You can't just change the speed of light. If you changed things to make the measured speed of light different, other things would change too. It certainly hasn't changed in the last 30 years!

5. Aug 27, 2010 #4
    Even if the speed of light slowed down "c" would still be 186,000miles/second, its just that we would have to separate the universal speed limit from the speed of light.

6. Aug 27, 2010 #5
    Interesting. I think I have some sort of idea.

7. Aug 27, 2010 #6

presbyope

Gold Member

Here's the original paper. I don't understand it, but it seems to be saying that the universe is embedded in hyperspace with coordinate ξ and the proper time of the universe T(ξ) is slowing down with ξ. It gives a proof that loss of time has to be smooth (in the sense of a smooth graph) so we would experience it as a slowing down of time rather than just having time stop. Slowing down of time is measurable as an acceleration of expansion.

If that's a correct reading, it's extremely sloppy to change coordinates without telling anyone. Then again they'd probably slap me for calling their theory hyperspace :-/

http://prd.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v77/i2/e027501

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook