Is Time Actually Speeding Up in the Expanding Universe?

• Thread starter joruz1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: So if we look at the relationship between space, time, and the speed of light; if space is measureably expanding and the speed of light is still constant, can Time be speeding up? No wonder they say, "the older you get, the faster time goes by", if they only new. Humanity continually strives to make its vehicles, technologies, and processes faster yet we never seem to have enough time or wish we had more time, doesn't that make you wonder Yes, that does make me wonder.
joruz1
The universe is expanding; interstellar distances are becoming greater and greater. How does the relationship between space, time, and the speed of light compensate for this? Changes in interstellar distances are measurable. The speed of light is constant and is measurable. But what about Time itself, can changes to time be measured? Or is that a paradox within itself? How can we measure a potential change in Time itself if it is changing while we are trying to measure it? For example, hypothetically speaking, if you are trying to measure how much a yard stick is decreasing in length against a second yard stick that is also decreasing in length at the same rate as the first one and if everything else around you (including yourself) was shrinking at the same rate than you would never confirm that such a change actually did occur. So if we look at the relationship between space, time, and the speed of light; if space is measureably expanding and the speed of light is still constant, can Time be speeding up? No wonder they say, "the older you get, the faster time goes by", if they only new. Humanity continually strives to make its vehicles, technologies, and processes faster yet we never seem to have enough time or wish we had more time, doesn't that make you wonder

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the universe is expanding, "time" would have to be "speeding up" in order for our time frame to remain constant. Which I think has to do with momentum, As energy is dissapated outward through the solar system momentum is converted into inertia. (remember mass and volume are directly related within a single time frame) This changes the radial trajetory of the local planets within this solar system and outward. Our frame of reference is included in the change of the time frame being viewed, therefore nothing is technically perceived as different. The exactness of the perceived change is not perfect though because, our brains will record the suttle variance that is continuous as "normal". Since this is true it does lead insight into our minds, we are able to percieve as X approaches infinity. Something that we are distinctly able to remember- therefore- Our limits on perception are in essence, unlimited.

A satellight recording inertia at point A from the sun and another satellight recording inertia at point B- Hypothetically previously synchronized in a single time frame would absolutely record the additional speed of rotation when sampled over a period of time between points A[origin],B[outer ring(s)]. We would figure out the rate at which our universe is expanding in a dynamic measurement. This data would be useful because while moving through a spatial system one could have precise positioning within the solar system. It's like a TimePositioningSystem for space. Riden the waves ^_^

I would say a higher power is acting upon us so we don't speed up so much in an instance that we suddenly explode- given the randomality of what we percieve in the stars.

joruz1 said:
The universe is expanding; interstellar distances are becoming greater and greater. How does the relationship between space, time, and the speed of light compensate for this? Changes in interstellar distances are measurable. The speed of light is constant and is measurable. But what about Time itself, can changes to time be measured? Or is that a paradox within itself? How can we measure a potential change in Time itself if it is changing while we are trying to measure it?

Well joruz1, I am speculating here ...

The effects of spacetime expansion I believe should be the same as the effects for acceleration. Acceleration creates time dilation and a slower tick rate for he who accelerates. In my mind, this requires that the time rate of others must speed up wrt our own time rate, and everyone should have the same experience. So your own time rate would actually slow down wrt everyone else in the universe, generally speaking. All should experience increased time dilation as time progresses given steady or accelerating universal expansion.

pess

joruz1 said:
For example, hypothetically speaking, if you are trying to measure how much a yard stick is decreasing in length against a second yard stick that is also decreasing in length at the same rate as the first one and if everything else around you (including yourself) was shrinking at the same rate than you would never confirm that such a change actually did occur.

Actually, I have develloped secretly a theory that shows beyond doubt that all lengths in the universe change as a function of time, and in fact the coefficient of change is nothing else but the amplitude of the second song on the first long-play disk of Genesis. :biggrin: :rofl:
However, as you point out, as every possible length in the universe changes with exactly the same coefficient, all ratios of lengths and so on remain constant... nevertheless, they ARE changing, I tell you :tongue:

This is the problem with a statement like "is time speeding up".

Of course, an entirely different discussion is: "is my subjective experience of time speeding up", but that's a philosophical one.

As I begin to think about your theory, i have to agree with it, all thin inforomation is there and belatedly obvious. As the universe is expanding, it is speeding up time...

saying, in theroy, if that were true what has caused this? Yes the continuous creation of more space, but that should not change the happenings on earth, yes we are in the system, but if there is more being made, why may that have anything to do with us?>

So let's say we have that yard stick,
say i put one in the back of a car in the fondation of a building and the other at the top of a building, if they are decreasing in size at the same rate, after a day, will they be the same leng? since time seems to be changing, does it affect you where ever you are? what is one was in a satlilite, there is some theroy that says time is faster in space, then i would chnage, making the throy backed up by einstein,
-In different places time moves more quickly, time moves expo-dentally

How does the relationship between space, time, and the speed of light compensate for this?

Insofar as is known, there is no "compensation"...except for pssoible changes in density during the inflationary stage of expansion.

Most of the responses above are gibberish .

Since the universe is expanding, "time" would have to be "speeding up" in order for our time frame to remain constant. Which I think has to do with momentum, As energy is dissapated outward through the solar system momentum is converted into inertia. (remember mass and volume are directly related within a single time frame) This changes the radial trajetory of the local planets within this solar system and outward.

is utterly meaningless...for example, momentum is NOT "converted" to inertia...

See the second paragraph here for some accurate comments on this nomenclature:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia

and our solar system is not expanding...gravity holds it together...

Time speeding up as a whole makes no sense since there is no absolute time in GR. Speeding up relative to whom? The proper time as measured by the co - moving galaxies? Or the ratios of proper times between objects?

Thestandard cosmological solution for General Relativity has the g_00 component fixed at unity, and the spatial g_ii components changing in time.

So time is not "speeding up".

One could use a coordinate system where g_00 is not constant un time, but that is not an especially desireable one.

1. Is time actually speeding up?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that time is physically speeding up. While our perception of time may change due to various factors such as age, emotions, and external stimuli, time itself remains constant.

2. Why does it feel like time is going by faster as we get older?

As we age, our brain processes information faster, leading to a feeling of time passing by more quickly. Additionally, as we get older, we tend to have more routine and familiar experiences, which can make time seem to fly by.

3. Are there any scientific theories that explain the feeling of time speeding up?

One theory is the "proportional theory," which suggests that our perception of time is relative to our age. Another theory is the "attentional-gating model," which proposes that our perception of time is influenced by the amount of attention we pay to our experiences.

4. Can time actually slow down or speed up in certain situations?

In some extreme situations, time can appear to slow down or speed up due to our brain's ability to process information differently. For example, during a life-threatening situation, our brain may enter a state of hyperfocus, making it seem like time is moving slower. Similarly, during periods of intense concentration, time may seem to speed up due to our brain's increased processing speed.

5. How does the concept of time relate to the theory of relativity?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time can appear to move at different rates for different observers depending on their relative motion and gravitational fields. This theory has been proven through experiments and is used in various technologies such as GPS systems.