Exploring the Possibilities of Time Travel: The Science and Theories Behind It

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of time travel, with the consensus being that it is possible to travel into the future by moving at high speeds relative to a reference frame. However, it is generally believed that traveling back in time is not possible, although there are some theoretical mechanisms that have not been disproven. These mechanisms are currently considered impractical due to the high energy and exotic matter requirements.
Jadaav said:
is time travel possible?

If yes, how is it possible to travel through time?

Can we travel in the future?

Can we travel back in the past?
Hawking believes that we may travel to future when entering wormhole,but it seems impossible to go back.Because there is no anyone come from future as yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
But Einstein said that we can't travel to the future but we can travel to the past though.

And I can say that's it true because by me time passes along with us and creates itself along its way and we can't go into a different moment of time that does not exist.

But I still have a doubt if we are moving along with time or not or if we have some replications of ourselves in the future.

the way a wormhole works is that you fix one end at the present time and make the other end travel at near the speed of light so that it experiences time dilation. As a result of this, future people can enter the time dilated end and go back to the past where the past end is located. But you can only go back as far as when the worm hole was created.. not before that. Since we have not created a worm hole yet then no one from the future can come back in time to visit us.
I'm very surprised that someone of Hawking's stature in the physics world would lend himself to a TV program so full of errors as the one that aired on the Discovery channel.. or was it the History channel? I don't watch them.

Jadaav said:
But Einstein said that we can't travel to the future but we can travel to the past though.

And I can say that's it true because by me time passes along with us and creates itself along its way and we can't go into a different moment of time that does not exist.

But I still have a doubt if we are moving along with time or not or if we have some replications of ourselves in the future.

Einstein never said that. go google time dilation and learn something

I read that in a book but wasn't sure of it though.

Jadaav said:
I read that in a book but wasn't sure of it though.

You should provide the name and author of that book. It seems to be an mistake.

Time travel to the future is "relatively" simple to prove mathematically with Einstein's own postulates, and it has been demonstrated experimentally with subatomic particles.

Time travel to the past has no experimental support.

In a few centuries, or a few thousand years hence, the Earth will have revolved around the sun a commensurate number of times. The sun will have consumed billions of tons of hydrogen, having converted it into energy and radiated it into space.

To pretend that with some magic time machine, one can speed up all these processes everywhere in the universe simultaneously is the height of folly.

Going back in time would require restoring what once was. Can pre-World War II Berlin be rebuilt with this imaginary time machine?
Can Hitler's body be reconstructed from the very same atoms that once composed it, and are now spread out around the earth? But not only Hitler's, but everyone who was alive at that time.

This is almost as preposterous as the Multiverse Cockamamey.

Seen some interesting connections here.

Now here are some possibilities that were not considered here. First clarify 2 things:
1. Time has direction - from "now" to "future"
2. Time has speed - 1 sec/sec for you at rest

What would be the implications(i.e. what paradoxes arise) of the following:
1. A speed of >1 sec/sec for you relative to the universe.
2. Reversing the direction time progression: not as in your general idea, like let's go from 2010 to 1939 and shoot Hitler, so WWII never happens without any time in between.
But rather in that state, for every second you age, everybody gets a second younger(and the other way around also).

RenasontsMan said:
To pretend that with some magic time machine, one can speed up all these processes everywhere in the universe simultaneously is the height of folly.
Yes that would be folly. Luckily no one has suggested that except you.

RenasontsMan said:
Can Hitler's body be reconstructed from the very same atoms that once composed it, and are now spread out around the earth? But not only Hitler's, but everyone who was alive at that time.

This is almost as preposterous as the Multiverse Cockamamey.
Yes that is preposterous. Luckily no one has suggested that except you. (Not to mention completely misunderstanding the entire concept of 'backwards in time'.)

The lesson here is to debate what people are in fact saying, not your own fallacious ideas of the topic. These are both red herring fallacies.

RenasontsMan said:
Going back in time would require restoring what once was. Can pre-World War II Berlin be rebuilt with this imaginary time machine?

So would this mean that everything in the current time would need to be destroyed? Or would it still exist?

There is experimental evidence (such as the delayed choice quantum eraser) of reverse causality. If reverse causality can be proven and then used as a means of transmitting information backwards in time that in itself would be a certain form if time travel.

It appears that any response that (A) is directed towards the OP's intent and (B) is based on currently accepted physics, was made early on in the thread.