1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Time Travel Possible?

1. Feb 24, 2014 #1

sheldonrocks97

Gold Member

I was just thinking about how cool it could be to time travel, but I don't know if it's technically possible. The only Physics class I took was a first semester calculus based physics class so I don't know if they ever talk about time travel in other physics classes.

I don't know if this is a dumb question, but do you think humans can time travel? I believe in time that physicists and engineers will find a way to travel forward and backward through time using some type of applicable knowledge we know now or will learn in the future.

Btw, I hope to be one of those physicists or engineers!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No.

Do a forum search. This topic has been beaten to death here.

4. Feb 24, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, time travel is possible. From the past to the future, one day at a time.

5. Feb 24, 2014 #4
    at the rate of 24 hours per day.

6. Feb 24, 2014 #5

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

and after a while the novelty wears off

7. Feb 24, 2014 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are asking whether it is technically possible.

It is theoretically possible for you to travel far into the future, say a million years, in your lifetime. But it is not possible for you to come back.

If you are asking whether the technology exists at the present time to make that trip, the answer is: "no".

AM

8. Feb 24, 2014 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Consider this. If time travel to the past is possible, then where are all the time travelers that should be here in our time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook