1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

? is to QM as Jackson is to electrodynamics.

1. May 16, 2005 #1
    I've been planning to get myself a minilibrary consisting of the classic books in various subjects. So far I've decided to get Goldstein for classical mechanics and Jackson for electrodynamics.

On the top of those I think I should have books of "similiar status" for QM, statistical physics and solid state physics. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,Galindo & Pascual [1].2 volumes.I think Springer editted one edition,back in '90.

The best there is.You could switch to J.J.Sakurai[2],if u don't like functional analysis...:wink:

Springer also published J.Schwinger's [3] course.It is rather good.

As for statistical phsysics,well,for learning/as a textbook (meaning a lot of examples & calculations),i'd say the book on thermo & stat in the Greiner[4] series.For more advanced look,either the 2 volumes in the Landau & Lifschitz [5,6]collection,or K.Huang [7].

For nonequilibrium SM,i'd say R.Balescu's [8]1975 book is good...

Zapper or someone else may give insights into solid state pysics.Kittel's [9]introductory book could be used as a textbook...

Daniel.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    [1]Galindo & Pascual,"Quantum Mechanics",Springer Verlag,1990.
    [2] J.J.Sakurai,"Modern Quantum Mechanics",Addison-Wesley,2-nd ed.,1993.
    [3]J.Schwinger,"Quantum Mechanics",Springer Verlag,2001.
    [4]W.Greiner,"Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics",any edition of the 2 published.
    [5]L.D.Landau,E.M.Lifschitz,"Statistical Physics",Part I,vol.5 of their course.
    [6]L.D.Landau,E.M.Lifschitz,"Statistical Physics",Part II,vol.9 of their course.
    [7]K.Haung,"Statistical Mechanics",2-nd ed.,Wiley,1987.
    [8]R.Balescu,"Equilibrium and Nonequilibrium Statistical Mechanics",Wiley,1975.
    [9]Ch.Kittel,"Introduction to solid state physics" (any edition,preferably the latest).

4. May 16, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll browse through those for a bit to see which I like better.

5. May 16, 2005 #4
    Mermin is the standard for Solid State

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook