Is wanting to have a sense of purpose egocentric?

• Thread starter Apple_Mango
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of seeking a sense of purpose and whether it is egocentric. It is argued that wanting to do special things or believing one is meant to do great things is not inherently egotistical, but rather a belief in one's capabilities and potential. The conversation also touches on the idea of being "created" for a specific purpose and the religious implications of this belief. Ultimately, it is acknowledged that the concept of purpose is subjective and may change over time.
Apple_Mango
Hello, I was wondering this question the other day. Now, I know that sometimes people get into professions like kindergarten teaching or social work to have a sense of purpose in guiding people. However, I wonder if seeking a sense of purpose is egocentric. For instance, wanting to have a sense of purpose implies that a person thinks they were meant to do great things in their lives. However, people aren't not meant to do special things. Nobody design a person for a specific purpose.

The fact that people think they are meant to do great things in their lives comes across as egocentric.

A lone person wandering around north america 50,000 years ago wouldn't care about having a sense of purpose or the same for any lone wandering back in pre-history. I think longing for a sense of purpose is simply a construct that arose in modern society.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes symbolipoint
Physics news on Phys.org
Apple_Mango said:
For instance, wanting to have a sense of purpose implies that a person thinks they were meant to do great things in their lives. However, people aren't not meant to do special things. Nobody design a person for a specific purpose.
You've conflated two things here.
'A sense of purpose' does not equate with '"meant" to do special things', in the context of being designed.

'Meant to do special things' can be seen as implying a destiny of some sort.
Having a purpose simply means you apply yourself to a goal larger than yourself. There's no indication of 'meant to'.

That being said...
Apple_Mango said:
The fact that people think they are meant to do great things in their lives comes across as egocentric.
Possibly true, but why is that a bad thing?
People who believe they are meant to do great things often create a self-fulfilling prophecy - going on to actually do great things.

I wouldn't call that egotistical,; I would call that having faith in oneself.

Apple_Mango said:
A lone person wandering around north america 50,000 years ago wouldn't care about having a sense of purpose or the same for any lone wondering back in pre-history.
Why do you assume they are alone? Most peoples lived in tribes. Their great things might be 'keep all my kin alive through the hard winter', or 'invent a breakthrough technology (such as tended crops) to feed my whole village'.
Their purpose would be closely related to their capabilties.

In another 50,000 years, the goal of providing the world with renewable energy sources might seem as ... quaint.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
'A sense of purpose' does not equate with '"meant" to do special things', in the context of being designed.

Having a purpose simply means you apply yourself to a goal larger than yourself. There's no indication of 'meant to'.
Okay, you got me there
That being said...

People who believe they are meant to do great things often create a self-fulfilling prophecy - going on to actually do great things.
If a person believed they were meant if do great things, they must believe that were created to exist to do special things. The fact that a person believes they are created to do special things is egocentric because nobody is designed for a higher purpose.
I wouldn't call that egotistical,; I would call that having faith in oneself.Why do you assume they are alone? Most peoples lived in tribes. Their great things might be 'keep all my kin alive through the hard winter', or 'invent a breakthrough technology (such as tended crops) to feed my whole village'.
I know that most people probably group in tribes. My idea that a person would wonder off from their tribes and live all by themselves is hypothetical.
In another 50,000 years, the goal of providing the world with renewable energy sources might seem as ... quaint.

Apple_Mango said:
Hello, I was wondering this question the other day. Now, I know that sometimes people get into professions like kindergarten teaching or social work to have a sense of purpose in guiding people. However, I wonder if seeking a sense of purpose is egocentric. For instance, wanting to have a sense of purpose implies that a person thinks they were meant to do great things in their lives. However, people aren't not meant to do special things. Nobody design a person for a specific purpose.

Agree with Dave: wanting to do special things is not egotistical (it can even be altruistic). Believing you can may be egocentric, may be naive and may even be true.
If a person believed they were meant if do great things, they must believe that were created to exist to do special things. The fact that a person believes they are created to do special things is egocentric because nobody is designed for a higher purpose.
No, you can believe you are capable of doing special things or even "meant" to without believing in the religious implication of being "created" for it. As a matter of personal ethics/morality, many people believe that they have a duty to themselves to fulfill their potential.

russ_watters said:
No, you can believe you are capable of doing special things or even "meant" to without believing in the religious implication of being "created" for it. As a matter of personal ethics/morality, many people believe that they have a duty to themselves to fulfill their potential.

Okay, I just had the religion in mind when I asked the question because I had somebody who tried to convert me into religion a few hours ago.

Apple_Mango said:
It is your belief that people aren't meant for a higher purpose.
(It is mine as well, but not the point).

The person themselves may believe people are designed for purposes. I don't think it's really our place to tell them their chosen spirituality is false.

Apple_Mango said:
I know that most people probably group in tribes. My idea that a person would wonder off from their tribes and live all by themselves is hypothetical.
OK, but how does that inform the discussion? Not everyone aspires to a higher purpose, but some do. Those ones will probably stick close to people he an help. (unless perhaps, he's a prehistoric biologist, bent on cataloguing the world's fauna for posterity).

P.S. see the advanced editor menu item: +. Under it, you will find the quote feature. :wink:

Apple_Mango said:

Okay, you got me there
That being said...

I wouldn't call that egotistical,; I would call that having faith in oneself.Why do you assume they are alone? Most peoples lived in tribes. Their great things might be 'keep all my kin alive through the hard winter', or 'invent a breakthrough technology (such as tended crops) to feed my whole village'.
Maybe most people were not specifically designed to have a special purpose. Maybe if someone wants to have a special purpose, he must find it on his own. He should be satisfied in finding something useful or helpful, but not necessarily revolutionary or transformational.

Apple_Mango said:
Okay, I just had the religious implications in mind when I asked the question because I had somebody who tried to convert me into religion not too long ago.

Ah!

Then just respond with the pearls of wisdom above, such as:

I see. I am done with this thread now.

thanks

Good time to close, since it is philosophical anyway...

1. Is wanting to have a sense of purpose egocentric?

No, wanting to have a sense of purpose is not inherently egocentric. It is a natural human desire to feel fulfilled and have a sense of direction in life. It becomes egocentric when an individual's purpose is solely focused on their own personal gain and not considering the well-being of others.

2. Can having a sense of purpose be harmful to others?

Yes, if an individual's purpose involves causing harm or negatively affecting others, then it can be harmful. It is important to have a sense of purpose that is ethical and considers the impact on others.

3. Is having a sense of purpose necessary for a fulfilling life?

This is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some individuals may find fulfillment in having a clear sense of purpose, while others may find fulfillment in other aspects of their life such as relationships, hobbies, or personal growth.

4. How can having a sense of purpose benefit one's mental health?

Having a sense of purpose can provide individuals with a sense of direction and motivation, which can improve their overall well-being and mental health. It can also give a sense of accomplishment and self-worth, leading to increased self-esteem and confidence.

5. Can a sense of purpose change over time?

Yes, a sense of purpose can change as individuals grow and experience different stages of life. What may have been a sense of purpose in the past may no longer hold the same importance in the present. It is important to regularly evaluate and adapt one's sense of purpose to align with their current values and goals.