1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is |x|^3 differentiable?

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Is |x|^3 differentiable?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is [tex] |x|^3 [/tex] differentiable?

2. Relevant equations

[tex] Def: \ Let \ f \ be \ defined \ (and \ real-valued) \ on [a,b]. \ \ For \ any \ x \in [a,b], \ form \ the \ quotient [/tex]

[tex]\phi(t)=\frac{f(t)-f(x)}{t-x} \ \ \ \ (a<t<b, \ t\neqx), \\ [/tex]

[tex] and \ define \\ [/tex]

[tex] f^{'}(x)=\lim_{\substack{t\rightarrow x}} \phi(t) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, using the definition, I calculated that the right-hand limit and left hand limit are different. But I'm not sure if that means anything or what I can conclude here. Nor am I sure how I should define the left and right limits here.

Any help would be great, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the left hand limit and the right hand limit are different, then the limit that defines the derivative at that point does not exists: the function is not differentiable.

However, I'm not sure it's not differentiable in this case... if there were a problem it would be at x = 0 and when I sketch a picture I don't immediately see a problem arising. Can you show us the calculation for the limit?

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The left hand derivative and the right hand derivative at x=0 are both zero. It's differentiable.

5. Dec 5, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How did you get that the right and left hand derivatives are different? If t> 0, |f(t)|= |t^3|= t^3 then at x= 0,
    [tex]\frac{f(t)-f(x)}{t- x}= \frac{|t^3|}{t}= \frac{t^3}{t}= t^2[/tex]
    and the limit of that, as t goes to 0, is 0.

If t< 0, |f(t)|= |t^3|= -t^3. At x= 0,
    [tex]\frac{f(t)-f(x)}{t-x}= \frac{|t^3|}{t}= \frac{-t^3}{t}= -t^2[/tex]
    but the limit, as t goes to 0, is still 0. The function is differentiable at 0 and the derivative there is 0.

Obviously, if x> 0, [itex]f(x)=|x^3|= x^3[/itex] which is differentiable and if x< 0, [itex]f(x)= |x^3|= -x^3[/itex] which is differentiable.

6. Dec 5, 2007 #5
    Ah, I see what I did now. Totally forgot to cube my expression in my calculations, hahaha. Alrighty, thanks Ivy.

7. Dec 6, 2007 #6
    [tex] |x|^3 [/tex] the same as [tex] |x^3| [\tex] ?

8. Dec 6, 2007 #7

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

They are equal, not same. They are different functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?