1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is X(n) a markov sequence?

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    Hi, this was a midterm problem in a probability class.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A fair coin is tossed repeatedly with results Y(0), Y(1)... that are 1 or 0 for heads or tails. For n>0, define a new sequence X(n) = Y(n)+Y(n-1), i.e. the number of 1's in the last two tosses.
    Is Xn a markov sequence?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought, when X(n) = 1, we cannot determine P( X(n+1) | X(n) ), due to the fact that the values X(n+1) can take depends on whether the last two flips were 0 and 1 or 1 and 0. In the former case we can have X(n+1)= 0 or 1, whereas in the latter we can have X(n+1)=1 or 2. The probabilities of all these are 1/2, but the values are different. So i said X(n) is not markov.

In the posted solutions, X(n) is given as markov. Probabilities in the above case are calculated as

P(X(n+1)=0 | X(n) = 1) = P(X(n+1) =0 | Y(n)=0, Y(n-1)=1)*P(Y(n)=0, Y(n-1)=1) + P(X(n+1) =0 | Y(n)=1, Y(n-1)=0)*P(Y(n)=1, Y(n-1)=0)
    = 1/2*1/2 + 0*1/2 = 1/4.

Similarly, P(1|1) is found to be 1/2 and P(2|1) is 1/4.

What is confusing is that, I thought, when X(n) is given, there must be a certain realization for Y(n) and Y(n-1), so we couldn't do the above...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not convinced by the above posted solution. We need to worry about whether
    P{X(n+1) = j | X(n) = i, X(n-1) = i1} = P{X(n+1) = j|X(n) = i}; that is, we need to know that giving X(n-1) or earlier X(t) will not affect the probability of X(n+1).

RGV

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    Oh that is right! For example, P{X(n+1) = 0 | X(n) = 1, X(n-1) = 0} = 0, which would not be equal to P{X(n+1) = 0 | X(n) = 1} = 1/4 given above!!!

So, was her solution incorrect then? It seems so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook