Is mass constant or does it increase due to expansion of the universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether mass increases due to the expansion of the universe and if the universe's momentum is constant. It is clarified that mass does not increase by itself, but requires some form of energy to do so. The conversation also suggests refining the question for better understanding.
zeromodz
I heard something that your mass increases due to expansion of the universe or something? Is this true?

Also, is the universes momentum constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
My mass increased after Thanksgiving dinner, so no my mass is not constant.

Perhaps you should refine your question a bit.

Integral said:
My mass increased after Thanksgiving dinner, so no my mass is not constant.

Perhaps you should refine your question a bit.

LMAO, your right. Thats my fault. I mean if you don't add anything to it, will it increase by itself?

zeromodz said:
LMAO, your right. Thats my fault. I mean if you don't add anything to it, will it increase by itself?

Well if you don't add some form of energy (such as Turkey or Stuffing) to it, no your mass will not increase all by itself.

See equation: E = m * c2

1. Is mass a constant for all objects?

Yes, mass is a constant for all objects. It is a fundamental property of matter that remains the same regardless of its location or condition.

2. Can an object's mass change over time?

No, an object's mass does not change over time. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, and it remains constant unless matter is added or removed.

3. How is mass different from weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different measurements. Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can change depending on the strength of gravity.

4. Does mass change when an object is in motion?

No, an object's mass does not change when it is in motion. This is a fundamental principle of physics known as the law of conservation of mass.

5. How is mass measured?

Mass is typically measured using a balance scale or by comparing an object's mass to a known standard, such as a kilogram. In scientific experiments, mass is often measured in units of grams or kilograms.