Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is your PC virus-free? Get it infected here!

1. May 23, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Are these the same people who buy used toothbrushes on eBay?

4. May 23, 2007 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just when I thought I had some faith left in humanity........:uhh:

5. May 23, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I nearly deleted this thread as spam without ever opening it when I saw the title, then noticed it was Zz posting it, so dared to peek.

Okay, I could understand some people clicking the ad accidentally, and depending on the amount of traffic on the site, I guess that could wind up being a lot (I've accidentally clicked on those annoying ads that float across the screen while trying to hit the "close" button to get rid of it, and the cat has helped click on a few too :grumpy:). But, yeah, people are not too bright when it comes to internet security. And then, once they've clicked on it and infected their computer, they're probably the same ones who forward all those email jokes as attachments too, and spread the virus to everyone in their address book too.

6. May 23, 2007 #5
    That's one reason someone might want to download a virus. They don't like their friends very much.

7. May 23, 2007 #6

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Or want to test the security of their employer/school/university's system...

8. May 23, 2007 #7
    Its such a bizarre ad they probably misread it as 'free anti-virus', which is another one of those cute mental phenomena that we should give psychologist money to study:yuck:

9. May 23, 2007 #8

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I suppose its only one worse than:

WARNING!!! Your computer clock may be wrong. Click here to download our spyware rather than look at the clock and change it yourself

10. May 23, 2007 #9

Lisa!

Gold Member

How can you make sure that it's not a kind of virus that sneaks to people's PC, get their PF(or any other forum) login information and then spam?:uhh:

:rofl:
    hmmm...so they must work on ads that are eyecatching for pets!

11. May 24, 2007 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would be very tempted to do this. Sure, I'd be OK with putting 250 computers at risk just to satisfy my curiosity, why not?

12. May 25, 2007 #11

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I didn't say it was a sensible choice. A friend of mine once formatted a school computer because he was certain that they wouldn't have been stupid enough to not have something to stop him. Turns out they were that stupid. Him too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?