1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Z[1/5] a PID?

1. Aug 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine if Z[1/5] is a PID (Z is the ring of integers).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure...I tried showing that it isn't by showing that it is not a UFD but that didn't work out well. Maybe there is some way I can show it is a PID by showing it's a Euclidean domain.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2009 #2
    Is it or isn't it? Usually you would try to show it isn't, which you did, without success, so maybe it is. Another clue: what are the easiest examples (in your book or notes) of integral domains that are not PID's? Are they more complicated than Z[1/5]? I bet they are. So that's a clue that this one is.

Try to show it is. I would just try to show it directly. Two hints. First, what do elements of Z[1/5] look like? Second, how do you even show (directly) that Z is a PID?

4. Aug 19, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply and hints! I was able to prove it directly without too much trouble: take an ideal I in Z[1/5]. Intersecting it with Z gives an ideal in Z, which is generated by some p in Z (since Z is a PID). Its easy to show that p generates I by taking an element r in I, multiplying by 5^N for some N to clear denominators so 5^N*r is in I intersect Z (so 5^N*r=kp). Then r = 5^(-N)kp is in the ideal generated by p.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook