Is Z[1/5] a PID? Analysis and Proof

• Thread starter eok20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pid
In summary, it is asked if Z[1/5] is a PID, and the conversation suggests that it may be by showing that it is not a UFD but also not overly complicated like other integral domains that are not PID's. It is suggested to try proving it directly, using the fact that Z is a PID and considering the intersection of the ideal with Z. The conversation ends with the confirmation that Z[1/5] is indeed a PID after proving it directly.
eok20

Homework Statement

Determine if Z[1/5] is a PID (Z is the ring of integers).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure...I tried showing that it isn't by showing that it is not a UFD but that didn't work out well. Maybe there is some way I can show it is a PID by showing it's a Euclidean domain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it or isn't it? Usually you would try to show it isn't, which you did, without success, so maybe it is. Another clue: what are the easiest examples (in your book or notes) of integral domains that are not PID's? Are they more complicated than Z[1/5]? I bet they are. So that's a clue that this one is.

Try to show it is. I would just try to show it directly. Two hints. First, what do elements of Z[1/5] look like? Second, how do you even show (directly) that Z is a PID?

Billy Bob said:
Is it or isn't it? Usually you would try to show it isn't, which you did, without success, so maybe it is. Another clue: what are the easiest examples (in your book or notes) of integral domains that are not PID's? Are they more complicated than Z[1/5]? I bet they are. So that's a clue that this one is.

Try to show it is. I would just try to show it directly. Two hints. First, what do elements of Z[1/5] look like? Second, how do you even show (directly) that Z is a PID?

Thanks for the reply and hints! I was able to prove it directly without too much trouble: take an ideal I in Z[1/5]. Intersecting it with Z gives an ideal in Z, which is generated by some p in Z (since Z is a PID). Its easy to show that p generates I by taking an element r in I, multiplying by 5^N for some N to clear denominators so 5^N*r is in I intersect Z (so 5^N*r=kp). Then r = 5^(-N)kp is in the ideal generated by p.

1. What is a PID?

A PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) controller is a feedback control system commonly used in engineering and science. It uses a control algorithm to adjust a process variable based on the difference between a desired setpoint and the current value of the variable.

2. What does it mean for Z[1/5] to be a PID?

In mathematics, Z[1/5] refers to the set of rational numbers with a denominator of 5. A PID in this context means that this set satisfies the properties of a Principal Ideal Domain, which is a type of algebraic structure used in abstract algebra.

3. What are the properties of a PID?

A PID must have the following properties: 1) It is an integral domain, meaning that it has no zero divisors; 2) It is a principal ideal ring, meaning that every ideal in the ring can be generated by a single element; 3) It is a unique factorization domain, meaning that every element can be factored into a unique product of irreducible elements.

4. How is it determined if Z[1/5] is a PID?

To determine if Z[1/5] is a PID, we must check if it satisfies the three properties mentioned above. In this case, Z[1/5] is indeed a PID because it is an integral domain, a principal ideal ring, and a unique factorization domain.

5. Why is it important for Z[1/5] to be a PID?

PID structures have many applications in mathematics and engineering, such as in control systems, signal processing, and coding theory. Having a set like Z[1/5] that satisfies the properties of a PID allows for the use of these structures in solving problems and proving theorems in these fields.