1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is zero a frequency?

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    I've been playing with an equation that purports to provide a measure of sequence variability
    Miller G.A, Frick F.C. Statistical behavioristics and sequences of responses. Psychological Review. 1949;56:311–324

If a person is asked to produce a sequence of responses and there are say 16 possible sequences the statistic is

-∑_(i=1)^16 ([RF)_i*log_2 (RF_i)])/(log_2 (16)) , where 16 equals the number of possible sequences and RFi is the relative frequency of any given sequence.

1 mean they've produced each sequence equally often, and zero that they've produced just one sequence.

So here's my problem, if someone doesn't produce a particular sequence I'm then faced with the conundram do I use a relative frequency of zero? If I do I'm then faced with the problem of trying to calculate log base 2 of zero and also multiply that by zero in the numerator - the solution to this is indeterminate and I can't solve it. So either I ignore sequences that weren't produced when summing across relative frequencies - if I do then I can avoid trying solve for log 2 (0), and I can solve this problem - or at least get estimates of U that are bigger when . But this seems very inelegant. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lim (x->0) of xlog(x) = 0, for any base.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook