Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Zero a standard or a reality?

1. Oct 24, 2003 #1
    Another post has been discussing standards used in measuring an observable.

We attach a number as a value to use to create other numbers.

So I thought I would open a discussion on the standard or reality of Zero.

If Zero is a standard but not a reality it would have to be the most important standard we have for all other figures we arrive at rely upon it..So am I right in saying that mathematics is founded on an standard that actually by it's absolute nature can not exist because it is zero or nothing.

How can Zero be arrived at in the form of formula? Only as a imaginary concept I would suggest, certainly not as an absolute reality.

So if it dosn't exist is it a valid standard?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Zero is a real number.

- Warren

4. Oct 25, 2003 #3
    In reality there are only zero's. They are conceptually ones. Or there are only ones made from nothing.

Zero carries no meaning in the absense of context - one being the context.

Perception of things is a time (motion) oriented operation. We more or less percieve zero through a lack of perception verses the conceptual perception of it.

Zero and one are very much alike - Like the front and back of a door.

Dats my schtick.

5. Oct 25, 2003 #4
    I doubt I really understand the question, but if I do then I can prove that zero is real: I have zero dinosaurs in my pocket. Ignoring that a dinosaur wouldn't fit in my pocket, zero is describing the number of dinosaur/s and that above statement is a true statement, so zero must be a number. Obviously, zero exists, and that which exists is real.

6. Oct 25, 2003 #5
    The symbol for zero is appropriate - A circle with nothing in it. Three dimensionally ... an empty sphere would put you in the realm of reality - There being nothing inside the sphere, and infinitely nothing outside it. This is the equivalent of one nothing. In this sense ... one nothing is a thing. All that is required now is to have more of them, and the motion of them to facilitate thier perception.

Perception comes to you like this - 0 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 00 0 00 0 0 0 0 00 0 00 0 00 00 0 0 0 0 00 00 0 0 0 00 0 0 0 0 00 00 00 0 00 0 00 0 0 0 0 00 00 000 00 0 00 0 0 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.

This is the same as ones and zero's... where zero comes to you as seperate entities ... one after another. This seperation is the key to your perception. (One) provides the distinction. (One) is not the thing but the perception of a thing - The conceptual understanding of nothing through the advent of motion.

You are the reality of Non-Existence, and I expect (nothing) else from it.

7. Oct 25, 2003 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?