Is Zero a standard or a reality?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of zero as a standard and its role in mathematics. The participants debate whether zero can be considered a reality or just an imaginary concept. They also compare it to the number one and discuss its impact on perception. Some argue that zero is a real number, while others believe it is simply a symbol for nothing. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the equation 1-1=0, highlighting the significance of zero in mathematical operations.
scott_sieger
Another post has been discussing standards used in measuring an observable.

We attach a number as a value to use to create other numbers.

So I thought I would open a discussion on the standard or reality of Zero.

If Zero is a standard but not a reality it would have to be the most important standard we have for all other figures we arrive at rely upon it..So am I right in saying that mathematics is founded on an standard that actually by it's absolute nature can not exist because it is zero or nothing.

How can Zero be arrived at in the form of formula? Only as a imaginary concept I would suggest, certainly not as an absolute reality.

So if it dosn't exist is it a valid standard?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zero is a real number.

- Warren

In reality there are only zero's. They are conceptually ones. Or there are only ones made from nothing.

Zero carries no meaning in the absense of context - one being the context.

Perception of things is a time (motion) oriented operation. We more or less percieve zero through a lack of perception verses the conceptual perception of it.

Zero and one are very much alike - Like the front and back of a door.

Dats my schtick.

I doubt I really understand the question, but if I do then I can prove that zero is real: I have zero dinosaurs in my pocket. Ignoring that a dinosaur wouldn't fit in my pocket, zero is describing the number of dinosaur/s and that above statement is a true statement, so zero must be a number. Obviously, zero exists, and that which exists is real.

The symbol for zero is appropriate - A circle with nothing in it. Three dimensionally ... an empty sphere would put you in the realm of reality - There being nothing inside the sphere, and infinitely nothing outside it. This is the equivalent of one nothing. In this sense ... one nothing is a thing. All that is required now is to have more of them, and the motion of them to facilitate their perception.

Perception comes to you like this - 0 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 00 0 00 0 0 0 0 00 0 00 0 00 00 0 0 0 0 00 00 0 0 0 00 0 0 0 0 00 00 00 0 00 0 00 0 0 0 0 00 00 000 00 0 00 0 0 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.

This is the same as ones and zero's... where zero comes to you as separate entities ... one after another. This separation is the key to your perception. (One) provides the distinction. (One) is not the thing but the perception of a thing - The conceptual understanding of nothing through the advent of motion.

You are the reality of Non-Existence, and I expect (nothing) else from it.

1-1=0

1. Is zero a real number?

Yes, zero is a real number. It is located on the number line between positive and negative numbers and is used to represent the absence of quantity or value.

2. Is zero an imaginary number?

No, zero is not an imaginary number. Imaginary numbers are represented by the letter "i" and are used to represent the square root of a negative number. Zero does not have a square root, therefore it is not considered an imaginary number.

3. Is zero a natural number?

No, zero is not a natural number. Natural numbers are positive integers starting from 1. Zero does not have a positive value, therefore it is not considered a natural number.

4. Is zero an even number?

Yes, zero is an even number. Even numbers are whole numbers that can be divided by 2 without leaving a remainder. Zero can be divided by 2, therefore it is considered an even number.

5. Is zero a constant?

Yes, zero is a constant. Constants are values that do not change and have a fixed value. Zero always has a value of 0, therefore it is considered a constant.