Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isaac Assimov

1. Oh Yeay, definitely!

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Who cares!

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Jul 9, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] Isaac Assimov

Do you think he's the greatest S-F author of all time?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2003 #2
    Yep, one of the greatest....

4. Jul 9, 2003 #3
    well i'll vote yes but i agree he's one of the best, it's near impossible to chose who's the best

5. Jul 9, 2003 #4
    Really I appreciate the scientific books that he wrote for the laymen. Reading them is how I was catched by science
    I haven't read any of his sci-fi storiesn but seems that the series foundation has rather success

Last edited: Jul 9, 2003
  6. Jul 9, 2003 #5
    I never much cared for Assimov. I read his books, and they weren't terrible, but - in the face of such authors as H. G. Wells, Orson Scott Card, Nancy Kress, Anne McCaffrey, Robert Silverberg, Greg Bear, Aurthor C. Clarke, even Frank Herbert (and many, many, more) - Isaac Assimov is (IMO) rather weak.

7. Jul 9, 2003 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No. Heinlein is.

8. Jul 9, 2003 #7
    HG Wells is the best, simple as that.

9. Jul 9, 2003 #8
    I haven't heard of him so my answer is: Who cares!

10. Jul 9, 2003 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Asimov is one of the best, but don't forget Bradbury in addition to the others mentioned above. For me Azimov, Bradbury and Heinlien are top of the pile. (Orson Scott Card has some good stuff but has not been around long enough to rate with the old timers!)

11. Jul 10, 2003 #10
    Oh, c'mon... New Zeealand is not THAT FAR :wink:
    You should read some of his books though....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?