Isaac Assimov: The Greatest S-F Author of All Time?

• Thread starter Ace-of-Spades
  • Start date
In summary, Isaac Asimov is considered one of the greatest science fiction authors of all time, although it is difficult to determine the best. He is also known for his scientific books for non-scientists. Some people prefer other authors such as H. G. Wells, Orson Scott Card, and Robert Silverberg. However, others argue that Asimov, Ray Bradbury, and Robert Heinlein are at the top of the list.

Do you think he's the greatest S-F autor of all time?

• Oh Yeay, definitely!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Who cares!

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Ace-of-Spades
[SOLVED] Isaac Assimov

Do you think he's the greatest S-F author of all time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, one of the greatest...

well i'll vote yes but i agree he's one of the best, it's near impossible to chose who's the best

Really I appreciate the scientific books that he wrote for the laymen. Reading them is how I was catched by science
I haven't read any of his sci-fi storiesn but seems that the series foundation has rather success

Last edited:
I never much cared for Assimov. I read his books, and they weren't terrible, but - in the face of such authors as H. G. Wells, Orson Scott Card, Nancy Kress, Anne McCaffrey, Robert Silverberg, Greg Bear, Aurthor C. Clarke, even Frank Herbert (and many, many, more) - Isaac Assimov is (IMO) rather weak.

No. Heinlein is.

HG Wells is the best, simple as that.

I haven't heard of him so my answer is: Who cares!

Asimov is one of the best, but don't forget Bradbury in addition to the others mentioned above. For me Azimov, Bradbury and Heinlien are top of the pile. (Orson Scott Card has some good stuff but has not been around long enough to rate with the old timers!)

Originally posted by Dave
I haven't heard of him so my answer is: Who cares!

Oh, c'mon... New Zeealand is not THAT FAR :wink:
You should read some of his books though...

1. Who is Isaac Asimov and why is he considered the greatest science fiction author of all time?

Isaac Asimov was an American author and professor of biochemistry, best known for his science fiction works such as the "Foundation" series and the "Robot" series. He is considered the greatest science fiction author of all time due to his vast influence on the genre, his prolific writing career, and his ability to merge science and storytelling in a captivating way.

2. How many books did Isaac Asimov write and what are some of his most famous works?

Isaac Asimov wrote over 500 books, including science fiction, non-fiction, and textbooks. Some of his most famous works include the "Foundation" series, the "Robot" series, "I, Robot", and "The Caves of Steel".

3. What makes Isaac Asimov's writing style unique?

Isaac Asimov's writing style is known for its clarity, simplicity, and scientific accuracy. He was able to explain complex scientific concepts in a way that was easy for readers to understand, while also incorporating thought-provoking themes and ideas into his stories.

4. How has Isaac Asimov's work influenced the science fiction genre?

Isaac Asimov's work has had a significant impact on the science fiction genre. He popularized the use of robots and artificial intelligence in science fiction, and his "Foundation" series introduced the concept of psychohistory, a fictional social science that predicts the behavior of large groups of people. Many authors and filmmakers have cited Asimov's work as a major influence on their own creations.

5. What are some interesting facts about Isaac Asimov's life and career?

Isaac Asimov was a prolific writer who worked on multiple projects at once, often writing for 12-14 hours a day. He was also a professor of biochemistry at Boston University and wrote several textbooks on science and chemistry. Asimov was a member of Mensa and was known for his incredible memory and ability to recite facts and figures. He was also a strong advocate for humanism and wrote extensively on the subject.