Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein

1. May 9, 2009 #1
    If both Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein are still alive today, imagine the world we will be living in and the impact on all theories of physics! Can you imagine what the world will be like with them still around?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm reminded of what a historian said when asked, "What if Stonewall Jackson had been alive at Gettysburg":

"He'd have smelled really bad, because he'd have been dead for two months!"

4. May 9, 2009 #3
    It's difficult to guess how they would have performed in different circumstances.

I'd rather like a world where Galois did not die so young for instance.

5. May 9, 2009 #4
    I think they'd be posting on 4chan and the wonderful internets rather than 'wasting' their time developing theories.

6. May 9, 2009 #5
    I think many smarter people have come since then, but the fruit just gets higher and harder to reach

7. May 9, 2009 #6
    Newton wrote more on religion than on science, and later in life turned to deciphering bible code. If he were alive today would have written volumes of nonsense.

Steven Weinberg said "that today any sufficiently good grad physics student" understands general relativity better than Einstein."

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  8. May 9, 2009 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think you probably worded that wrong....

9. May 9, 2009 #8
    Imagine Tesla with his hundreds of patents ? I bet the oil company would of assassinated him. Poor guy, suppressed in his time, and yet again in the 21st century.

10. May 9, 2009 #9

russ_watters

Unlikely since nothing Tesla did would have had any direct impact on the oil companies. :rolleyes: You're falling for a crackpot legend that defames a man who really was a great scientist.

That said, his feud with Edison/Westinghouse was a big issue at the time...

11. May 9, 2009 #10
    It's "would have".

12. May 9, 2009 #11
    Was this published? I've never heard about this.

13. May 9, 2009 #12
    It was Tesla/Westinghouse vs. Edison.

14. May 9, 2009 #13
    “Newton’s religious writings constitute more than half of his entire written work” (2004, 430:819)

Brumfiel, Geoff (2004), “Newton’s Religious Screeds Get Online Airing,” Nature, 430:819, August 19.

15. May 9, 2009 #14

russ_watters

Oops.

16. May 9, 2009 #15
    No, I mean did Newton ever publish Principia Religiosa, or some such work?

17. May 9, 2009 #16

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fact that you have no interest in a particular field of study does not make it nonsense.

18. May 9, 2009 #17
    I'm not sure how much of his religious work he published, he wasn't a famous theologian. But he did manage to predict the end of the world in 2066

http://www.christianpost.com/Education/General/2007/06/papers-show-isaac-newton-s-religious-side-predict-date-of-apocalypse-19/index.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  19. May 9, 2009 #18
    Someone should alert Dan Brown.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  20. May 10, 2009 #19
    What a silly thread. The likes of Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein still exist. Today's scientific scene is much richer and wider however, making the contributions of those people seem like drops in the ocean.

21. May 10, 2009 #20
    Or are you saying the current geniuses make Newton and Einstein look like drops in the ocean, or do you mean the opposite?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook