Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isentropic Specific Enthalpy HELP

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Hi guys,

I'm struggling with some equations regarding the enthalpy change over a compressor in a vcc system.

I'm currently working on a model for the whole system and I think I've got all equations except the one describing the enthalpy difference betweeen the inlet and outlet of the compressor.
    I can't really understand how to handle the isentropic specific enthalpy, hout,s, in the following equation:

hout = (hout,s - hin)/ns + hin

where ns is the isentropic efficiency

I also know that ns = (Tout,s-Tin)/(Tout-Tin) (assuming constant specific heat)

I would prefer the model to be as "general" as possible, meaning that I don't have to perform a bunch of experimental test to determine certain coefficients.

I would greatly appreciate some help with how to calculate/estimate hout,s. I think that the value of hout,s depends on the suction pressure (?) so assuming a constant value (from example a table at some operating condition) isn't good enough for an accurate model? I mean that value of hout,s does change when the system moves from that particular condition, right?

Thanks in advance,
    Andreas

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted