1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ising model and diamagnetism.

1. Nov 24, 2011 #1
    I'm doing a computational physics project where I'm looking at the Ising model in 2D and external magnetics field.

I start with all the spins in same directions my grid is 30x30 and I use periodic boundry conditions. I start with all the spins in the same direction (+1). I do about 150000 scans with Metropolis algorithm at every temperature so it can reach thermal equilibrium and then I collect data for 350000 scans after that.

So my question is: When I apply negative magnetic field the system seems to show diamagnetism at low temperature and then makes a very quick drop to paramagnetism.

I will attach a graph displaying this. (magnetism on "y axis", temperature on "x")

So is this something to be expected or is this and error because I don't have enough scans?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?