Calculating Magnetization for 2x2 Ising Model Lattice

In summary, the partition function given for the 2x2 Ising model does not depend on the magnetic field, and therefore the magnetization is expected to be zero. This is because the partition function is equivalent to a 4-spin 1d Ising model with no external field, which also has a zero magnetization.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Calculate magnetisation for partition function
##Z=12+4\cosh (8\beta J)## for Ising model 2x2 lattice.

Homework Equations

[tex]F=-k_BTln Z[/tex]
[tex]M(H,T)=-\frac{\partial}{\partial H}(\frac{F}{k_BT})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For me it looks that magnetisation is zero. By just doing the derivatives. But solution of problem is ##\frac{16+8e^{\beta J}}{Z}##. If I combine relation from relevant equation it looks like for me that solution is zero. Where I making the mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does the partition function come from?

There is no H in the partition function, so the system does not react to any external field, just as you calculated.

What are the units of J?

##J## is constant. Well you have 2x2 lattice. You calculate
[tex]Z=\sum e^{-\beta H}[/tex]

You are confusing notation here. The derivative to find the magnetization should be with respect to h, the external magnetic field. H is the Hamiltonian used to find the partition function. If there is no term dependent on h in your partition function expression, then you have used an incorrect Hamiltonian. Assuming a constant interaction J and constant external field h, the 2D Ising Model has a Hamiltonian of the form

[tex]H=-J \sum_{i,j} \sigma_i \sigma_j - h\sum_j \sigma_j[/tex]

The first sum is over all nearest neighbors.As written your partition function trivially has no magnetization.

Last edited:
I think there are a few sources of confusion here...

It seems that the problem presents a certain partition function as a given. Presumably it's some kind of approximation for the 2-d Ising model Z.

Also it looks like J is some parameter that's proportional to the applied magnetic field. So dZ/dH won't be zero.

Oxvillian said:
I think there are a few sources of confusion here...

It seems that the problem presents a certain partition function as a given. Presumably it's some kind of approximation for the 2-d Ising model Z.

Also it looks like J is some parameter that's proportional to the applied magnetic field. So dZ/dH won't be zero.

J is typically the spin-spin coupling in Ising models, and I suspect that is the case here. The partition function given simply doesn't depend on the magnetic field.

To the OP: why should one expect the magnetization to be non-zero in the absence of a magnetic field? You have a 2x2 Ising model at finite temperature. Furthermore, I assume that the spin-spin interactions are nearest neighbor only, is that correct?

If so, consider this question: what is the difference between your 2x2 Ising model and a 4-spin 1d Ising model with periodic boundary conditions (and no external field)?

1. How do you calculate magnetization for a 2x2 Ising model lattice?

To calculate the magnetization for a 2x2 Ising model lattice, you need to first determine the spin state of each individual spin in the lattice. Then, you can use the formula M = (1/N) * (sum of all spin states), where N is the total number of spins in the lattice.

2. What is the significance of calculating magnetization in the Ising model?

The Ising model is a mathematical model used to study the behavior of magnetic materials. By calculating the magnetization, we can understand how the spins in a lattice are aligned and how they respond to changes in temperature or external magnetic fields. This information is crucial in understanding the properties of magnetic materials.

3. Can you explain the concept of spontaneous magnetization in the Ising model?

In the Ising model, spontaneous magnetization refers to the phenomenon where a material exhibits a non-zero magnetic moment even in the absence of an external magnetic field. This occurs when the temperature is below the critical temperature, and the spins in the lattice align in a preferred direction, resulting in a net magnetization.

4. How does the size of the lattice affect the calculation of magnetization in the Ising model?

The size of the lattice can significantly impact the calculation of magnetization in the Ising model. As the lattice size increases, the number of spins also increases, resulting in a more accurate representation of the material. This allows for a more precise calculation of the magnetization of the material.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating magnetization in the Ising model?

One limitation of calculating magnetization in the Ising model is that it assumes all interactions between spins are equal. In reality, magnetic materials can have complex interactions between spins, making the Ising model an oversimplified representation. Additionally, the Ising model is only applicable to materials with discrete spin states, which may not accurately represent all materials.