1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ising model

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate magnetisation for partition function
    ##Z=12+4\cosh (8\beta J)## for Ising model 2x2 lattice.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]F=-k_BTln Z[/tex]
    [tex]M(H,T)=-\frac{\partial}{\partial H}(\frac{F}{k_BT})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For me it looks that magnetisation is zero. By just doing the derivatives. But solution of problem is ##\frac{16+8e^{\beta J}}{Z}##. If I combine relation from relevant equation it looks like for me that solution is zero. Where I making the mistake.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2
    Where does the partition function come from?

There is no H in the partition function, so the system does not react to any external field, just as you calculated.

What are the units of J?

4. Sep 2, 2012 #3
    ##J## is constant. Well you have 2x2 lattice. You calculate
    [tex]Z=\sum e^{-\beta H}[/tex]

5. Sep 4, 2012 #4

kreil

Gold Member

You are confusing notation here. The derivative to find the magnetization should be with respect to h, the external magnetic field. H is the Hamiltonian used to find the partition function.

If there is no term dependent on h in your partition function expression, then you have used an incorrect Hamiltonian. Assuming a constant interaction J and constant external field h, the 2D Ising Model has a Hamiltonian of the form

[tex]H=-J \sum_{i,j} \sigma_i \sigma_j - h\sum_j \sigma_j[/tex]

The first sum is over all nearest neighbors.

As written your partition function trivially has no magnetization.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  6. Sep 5, 2012 #5
    I think there are a few sources of confusion here...

It seems that the problem presents a certain partition function as a given. Presumably it's some kind of approximation for the 2-d Ising model Z.

Also it looks like J is some parameter that's proportional to the applied magnetic field. So dZ/dH won't be zero.

7. Sep 6, 2012 #6

Mute

Homework Helper

J is typically the spin-spin coupling in Ising models, and I suspect that is the case here. The partition function given simply doesn't depend on the magnetic field.

To the OP: why should one expect the magnetization to be non-zero in the absence of a magnetic field? You have a 2x2 Ising model at finite temperature. Furthermore, I assume that the spin-spin interactions are nearest neighbor only, is that correct?

If so, consider this question: what is the difference between your 2x2 Ising model and a 4-spin 1d Ising model with periodic boundary conditions (and no external field)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook