Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ISIS destroys ancient relics

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What do you think about this wanton destruction of priceless relics

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-destroy-ancient-artefacts-mosul-museum-iraq

Islamic State militants ransacked Mosul’s central museum, destroying priceless artefacts that are thousands of years old, in the group’s latest rampage which threatens to upend millennia of coexistence in the Middle East.

The destruction of statues and artefacts that date from the Assyrian and Akkadian empires, revealed in a video published by Isis on Thursday, drew ire from the international community and condemnation by activists and minorities that have been attacked by the group.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is there to say? It's not like this will change anyone's opinion about the organization.

What it does, apart from making us all culturally poorer, is give Sam Harris another 'I told you so' argument for his debates, while allowing Brits to once more feel good about looting half the region and moving it to their museums back when the world map was still half-pink.

4. Apr 25, 2015 #3
    Well, it's a little hard not to expect, seen as though pagan and Islamic bonds have never been huge, let alone earlier empires... so kind of a terrorist organization destroying statues/idols from pagan empires doesn't surprise me.

Mahmoud.

P.S. Still puzzled by this ISIS. As a member of the Muslim faith, their actions both intrigue and disgust me. Please do not take this as a red flag saying that I pity them. I do not. Pity is not a word on my lips.

5. Apr 25, 2015 #4
    They sure do follow a path of hypocrisy.

On the one hand they dislike idol worship, but they sure do seem to worship the gun.

6. Apr 25, 2015 #5
    Well, it must be said that they do believe what they are doing is for God. Gun worship, while I'm sure is amusing to you, strikes me as a little off the mark.

Must not forget that the Crusades were believed to be holy wars.

One shouldn't descend from the facts to unnecessary remarks at thei theology.

Please, fault me if I'm wrong.

Mahmoud.

7. Apr 25, 2015 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's quite a god that they believe in who tells them to burn people alive. Christians are also guilty of this (although mostly not recently) and I condemn them equally.

8. Apr 26, 2015 #7
    Not quite what I intended. What I am saying is that they do generally believe what they are doing is essential to "salvation", where the goal is to establish an Islamic State. I do not believe in condemning a single race.

9. Apr 26, 2015 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

So you think it's OK for them to burn people alive and behead those they don't like?

10. Apr 26, 2015 #9
    Not at all. You are attempting to find fault in what I am saying. I was originally attempting to say this; that at least this destruction of artifacts fits into their theology, and when a post with a twinge of sarcasm came in, I simply was trying to prevent a conflict.

At this point, I am neutral in many conflicts. To use a less religiously bound argument, think Vietnam and napalm. That got a fair few, including children, into hospital covered in cheesecloth, for both air and pressure was unbearable.

I think that counts as burning people alive, don't you?

11. Apr 26, 2015 #10

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@SpanishOmelette your posts appear to say that destruction motivated by ideology is better than wanton destruction.

12. Apr 26, 2015 #11
    Not quite.

I appear to not be getting my points cross. This always happens on the subject of politics, no?

All I am saying is that there is a difference between going out and shooting 11 men and all the kids in a classroom then shooting yourself is worse than taking a sledgehammer to to some idols that are against your beliefs.

I'm sure you would have to agree.

13. Apr 26, 2015 #12

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure. Sadly, the organisation in question has both bases covered.

14. Apr 26, 2015 #13
    Sadly yes. It is the most volatile organization in world, in my eyes. Unpredictable.

Hence the recent study of terrorism.

15. Apr 26, 2015 #14

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I replied but have deleted it as it was trending towards being against the forum rules. As I have already said, I condemn Christian as well as Muslims for this sort of behavior.

16. Apr 26, 2015 #15
    Phinds, my point has been made. I believe it would not contribute to talk on this subject. I wish for a peaceful forum, no conflixct.

Mahmoud.

17. Apr 26, 2015 #16

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

agreed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook