ISIS destroys ancient relics

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, Islamic State militants have destroyed ancient artefacts in Mosul's central museum, including statues and artefacts dating back thousands of years. This act has drawn condemnation from the international community and reveals the group's ideology of establishing an Islamic State. While some may argue that this destruction fits into their theology, it is ultimately an act of wanton destruction that serves to make the world culturally poorer.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
What do you think about this wanton destruction of priceless relics

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-destroy-ancient-artefacts-mosul-museum-iraq

Islamic State militants ransacked Mosul’s central museum, destroying priceless artefacts that are thousands of years old, in the group’s latest rampage which threatens to upend millennia of coexistence in the Middle East.

The destruction of statues and artefacts that date from the Assyrian and Akkadian empires, revealed in a video published by Isis on Thursday, drew ire from the international community and condemnation by activists and minorities that have been attacked by the group.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is there to say? It's not like this will change anyone's opinion about the organization.

What it does, apart from making us all culturally poorer, is give Sam Harris another 'I told you so' argument for his debates, while allowing Brits to once more feel good about looting half the region and moving it to their museums back when the world map was still half-pink.

Well, it's a little hard not to expect, seen as though pagan and Islamic bonds have never been huge, let alone earlier empires... so kind of a terrorist organization destroying statues/idols from pagan empires doesn't surprise me.

Mahmoud.

P.S. Still puzzled by this ISIS. As a member of the Muslim faith, their actions both intrigue and disgust me. Please do not take this as a red flag saying that I pity them. I do not. Pity is not a word on my lips.

They sure do follow a path of hypocrisy.

On the one hand they dislike idol worship, but they sure do seem to worship the gun.

256bits said:
They sure do follow a path of hypocrisy.

On the one hand they dislike idol worship, but they sure do seem to worship the gun.

Well, it must be said that they do believe what they are doing is for God. Gun worship, while I'm sure is amusing to you, strikes me as a little off the mark.

Must not forget that the Crusades were believed to be holy wars.

One shouldn't descend from the facts to unnecessary remarks at thei theology.

Please, fault me if I'm wrong.

Mahmoud.

SpanishOmelette said:
Well, it must be said that they do believe what they are doing is for God.
That's quite a god that they believe in who tells them to burn people alive. Christians are also guilty of this (although mostly not recently) and I condemn them equally.

phinds said:
That's quite a god that they believe in who tells them to burn people alive. Christians are also guilty of this (although mostly not recently) and I condemn them equally.

Not quite what I intended. What I am saying is that they do generally believe what they are doing is essential to "salvation", where the goal is to establish an Islamic State. I do not believe in condemning a single race.

SpanishOmelette said:
Not quite what I intended. What I am saying is that they do generally believe what they are doing is essential to "salvation", where the goal is to establish an Islamic State. I do not believe in condemning a single race.
So you think it's OK for them to burn people alive and behead those they don't like?

Not at all. You are attempting to find fault in what I am saying. I was originally attempting to say this; that at least this destruction of artifacts fits into their theology, and when a post with a twinge of sarcasm came in, I simply was trying to prevent a conflict.

At this point, I am neutral in many conflicts. To use a less religiously bound argument, think Vietnam and napalm. That got a fair few, including children, into hospital covered in cheesecloth, for both air and pressure was unbearable.

I think that counts as burning people alive, don't you?

@SpanishOmelette your posts appear to say that destruction motivated by ideology is better than wanton destruction.

Not quite.

I appear to not be getting my points cross. This always happens on the subject of politics, no?

All I am saying is that there is a difference between going out and shooting 11 men and all the kids in a classroom then shooting yourself is worse than taking a sledgehammer to to some idols that are against your beliefs.

I'm sure you would have to agree.

Sure. Sadly, the organisation in question has both bases covered.

Sadly yes. It is the most volatile organization in world, in my eyes. Unpredictable.Hence the recent study of terrorism.

SpanishOmelette said:
Not at all. You are attempting to find fault in what I am saying. I was originally attempting to say this; that at least this destruction of artifacts fits into their theology, and when a post with a twinge of sarcasm came in, I simply was trying to prevent a conflict.

At this point, I am neutral in many conflicts. To use a less religiously bound argument, think Vietnam and napalm. That got a fair few, including children, into hospital covered in cheesecloth, for both air and pressure was unbearable.

I think that counts as burning people alive, don't you?
I replied but have deleted it as it was trending towards being against the forum rules. As I have already said, I condemn Christian as well as Muslims for this sort of behavior.

Phinds, my point has been made. I believe it would not contribute to talk on this subject. I wish for a peaceful forum, no conflixct.

Mahmoud.

SpanishOmelette said:
Phinds, my point has been made. I believe it would not contribute to talk on this subject. I wish for a peaceful forum, no conflixct.

Mahmoud.
agreed

Likes SpanishOmelette

1. What is ISIS?

ISIS, also known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, is a terrorist group that seeks to establish an Islamic state in the Middle East. They have been responsible for numerous acts of violence and destruction, including the destruction of ancient relics.

2. Why is ISIS destroying ancient relics?

ISIS believes that these relics are idols and go against their strict interpretation of Islam. They see it as their duty to destroy anything that they consider to be against their beliefs.

3. How are ancient relics being destroyed by ISIS?

ISIS has used various methods to destroy ancient relics, including bulldozing, explosives, and sledgehammers. They often film and share these acts of destruction as a way to spread fear and gain attention.

4. What is the significance of these ancient relics?

These ancient relics hold cultural and historical significance, not only to the countries where they are located but to the world as a whole. They are a part of our shared human history and losing them means losing a part of our collective identity.

5. Can anything be done to stop ISIS from destroying ancient relics?

Efforts have been made by various organizations and countries to protect and preserve these ancient relics. However, it is a difficult task as it involves navigating through dangerous territories and dealing with a group that is committed to their destruction. It will take a collective effort from the international community to effectively stop ISIS from destroying ancient relics.

Back