Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Islam is peace Bush said

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    "Islam is peace" Bush said

Hey, has everyone noticed how "peaceful muslims" protest in the streets of all "muslim" nations whenever there is a terrorist attack in the name of islam?

That is right folks, Muslims always protest against such actions because such actions are against Islam. Just last week 1 million Muslims in Saudi Arabia took to the streets in protest of the Bombing in Egypt and millions more protested all over the Muslim world.

Islam is Peace, don't you agree?

Max

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, religious discussions aren't allowed.

4. Oct 12, 2004 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If that's a reeligious discussion, then we can't post about anything about the middle east, because everything that happens there is just half an inch from somebody's interpretation of what some division of some religion says.

In Iraq they're worried that Ramadan this year is going to be like Ramadan last year, only more so.

5. Oct 12, 2004 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I also received a pm asking me to reopen it.

Since I was on the fence on closing it in the first place, I've decided to open it as long as people don't start religion bashing.

6. Oct 12, 2004 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, I do not agree.
    A vaunted self-conception of a religious group should never be regarded as the "truth" or "essence" of that religion.
    It is equally silly to say that Christianity is "love", for example.
    It patently is not, and we should stop judging a religion on the basis of such slogans, and rather judge them on basis of the practitioners' actions.

7. Oct 12, 2004 #6
    No, I disagree. As unpopular my opinion is

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  8. Oct 12, 2004 #7
    and lack of "actions" don't you think.

Also, In Muslim nations politics and Islam are one and the same. They cannot be separated wihout a democratic system.

9. Oct 12, 2004 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

To choose not to do something is also an action.
    No particular reference was meant to certain well-publicized heinous actions by rabid Islamists.
    "Also, In Muslim nations politics and Islam are one and the same. They cannot be separated wihout a democratic system."
    This is incorrect.
    Several Islamic countries, like Turkey,Syria, Marocco are secular regimes.
    So was, BTW, Saddam's Iraq.

10. Oct 12, 2004 #9
    Gee wiz! I am talking to myself again.

You are confusing leadership/type of government with the political will of the people.

Syria is a dictatorship so it matters not that it is a secular country. It is NOT a secular country. It is a Muslim/Islamic nation and the secular dictators there always bow to the Muslim will within the nation. Turkey is the same way. 95% of Turks are Muslims not secular, same in Moroco.

11. Oct 12, 2004 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That a given leadership always finds it expedient to give leeway to certain strong emotions in the populace, is an indication of political pragmatism/realism (otherwise they wouldn't survive as leaders) rather than a measure of their own emotions.
    Primarily, politics in "Arabic nations" are politics of the great clans, and the power fights amongst them. It is little if any state conception in these countries, your primary allegiance is to which great family you adhere to.
    This is an age-old political system, best understood by comparisons with Roman politics, and, to some extent, European feudalism.

12. Oct 12, 2004 #11
  13. Oct 14, 2004 #12
    I agree with most of this.

The unfortunate thing is that religions are often judged on the practices of only a few of its more outspoken, obnoxious, members. Or worse, when the religion is judged by the actions of extremists, persons that call themselves members of a religion but actually have little or no mainstream affiliation to that religion or real understanding of its intent.

14. Oct 14, 2004 #13
    Are you being sarcastic? Or did it really happen? I think animosities are created by geopolitical players, religion is just a catalyst.

there are no angels :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?