Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Islamic Contributions To Science

1. Sep 21, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2004 #2

Eh

Who the hell cares?

4. Sep 21, 2004 #3
    Who has asked you?

5. Sep 21, 2004 #4

Eh

Does it matter? It was a valid question, and I'm not sure what the aim of posting that was.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  6. Sep 21, 2004 #5
    I speak for myself, but : Salem, this is not welcome especially in the GD forum, especially during these days. You posted another dicussion, joke about informatics, which is highly welcomed here I think. It does not make you less guilty of intruding for the second time with your propaganda

7. Sep 21, 2004 #6
    Maybe the aim of the post was to educate people on the Islamic contributions to science and math?

8. Sep 21, 2004 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I speak for myself too, when I say let's not be so cranky towards this. I can completely understand it if salem is a Muslim who wants to present his countrymen as cultured, educated people given the hostility towards them by those in the West who are not so cultured or educated.

9. Sep 21, 2004 #8

Eh

It just looks an awful lot like the usual religious post and run topics we're all familiar with. Maybe I'm just more pessimistic than others.

10. Sep 21, 2004 #9
    I apologize to Salem after Tom's post. Two other discussions have recently been closed, that was my reason, especially one of them very much like this one.

Muslims brought to the world the greatest math invention of all time : the zero. Also the digits.

My ancestry, goes in Perse, and I always like to imagine one of them was astrologist and poet, because it is the root of astronomy. I swear.

11. Sep 21, 2004 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I also agree. The links posted for the specific topics are not of a religious nature, it is about culture and history.

Ignorance breeds hatred. People fear what they don't understand. I think the links are very interesting and educational.

I think people should read the information posted before forming an opinion.

12. Sep 21, 2004 #11
    Maybe al-Khwarizmi is my grand-grand-grand...grand father.

I really apologize Salem. I swear I did not make up that Perse ancestry story.

13. Sep 21, 2004 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Umm, I tend to disagree there.

However, they are responsible for the development (not invention) of algebra, as well as tons of work on geometry (including the majority of work on Euclid's parallel line axiom) and of course, were the first to crack the monoalphabetic substitution cipher through frequency analysis.

PS : Haven't visited the links yet, but I will.

14. Sep 21, 2004 #13
    Oops. Sorry. I googled it :
    Is this correct ? :redface:

15. Sep 21, 2004 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Babylonian zero was the forerunner of today's zero. It was used to symbolize 'nothing' but had little use at the time.

In about the 5th century AD, an Indian mathematician, Aryabhatta first used the zero as a magnitude representer. A number that was tree orders of magnitude bigger than x was written as x000. I'm not sure what else he proposed.

The zero as the additive identity (and with the property that x*0 = 0*x = 0), was first proposed by Brahmagupta, another Indian mathematician, about a century later.

Okay, here's what Wikipedia says - it's a little different from my explanation, so I may not be accurate in the details. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero

16. Sep 21, 2004 #15

Evo

Don't feel bad humanino, I had also thought the zero was an arabic invention, but what they actually get credit for is passing the zero on to the Europeans. Gokul43201 is, as usual, correct. :smile:

17. Sep 22, 2004 #16

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Last time I checked, no culture has cornered the market on facts. Couching the question in a preferred reference frame is what makes most of us uncomfortable. Personally, I think the morality of science is superior to the morality of any culture. I would even argue this is self evident. Our collective knowledge of science is more advanced than our collective ability to apply it and achieve responsible, mutually constructive results.

18. Sep 22, 2004 #17
    Racism is something hard.
    I think I am not welcome here but I just want to say that I don't outbid on Islam .Islam a brilliant religion by itself and doesn't need me or any preaching or missionary work. I wrote in this community not to convince people to be converted to Islam because this is completely their choice and believe which I respect very much.

To prove my point that Islam does not need any preaching like Christianity, It becomes the fastest-growing religion in America and in the world? Although religion is no longer dominates everyday life in Western society.

A NATION CHALLENGED: AMERICAN MUSLIMS; Islam Attracts Converts by the Thousand, Drawn Before and After Attacks
    By JODI WILGOREN
    Source: The New York Times: October 22, 2001, Monday
    Section: National Desk

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/3016/fastest.htm

"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in America, a guide and pillar of stability for many of our people..." Hillary Rodman Clinton, Los Angeles Times, May 31, 1996, p.3

Famous people are affected too:

Singer "Cat Stevens" Hear his story as told him
    http://www.islamtomorrow.net/converts/yusuf_islam.htm

19. Sep 22, 2004 #18
    Salem, you are very welcome here, do not be swayed by the less flexible members.

20. Sep 22, 2004 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Salem, your original post was very much welcome. It spoke of contributions to math and science from the Muslims.

This may have caused some people to react, who were either : (#1)biased, or (#2) had imagined that this thread was going to spark attacks and defenses of religion. Subsequently, people did embrace your post and discussed the metter in the context free of religious innuendo, but not ignoring the cultures/races that were involved - which is the only way it may be discussed here.

Now, it looks like you feel that you are not welcome here, and that is not the case. However, if you choose to post as you just did, that would definitely be considered inappropriate. You said "Islam a brilliant religion by itself and doesn't need me or any preaching or missionary work." Had you stopped there, this would all be okay. Yet you chose to go against your own words and provide proof for the "power of Islam". That kind of material is what is not welcome here.

I'm just trying to tell you what I think is considered appropriate for this Forum, perhaps Evo can clarify this further (or negate what I've just said).

Here's my final words on the matter : No one here (there is always a small minority who may take offense, or react unreasoably - this is true anywhere) is attacking Islam. Let's stick to the original intent of the thread lest we veer into attacking or defending some religion.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  21. Sep 22, 2004 #20

Evo

Salem14, you are very welcome here, just remember we don't allow religious discussions here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?