Isn't acceleration a constant?

In summary, the position of a particle as a function of time is given by C1 + C2t + C3t2, with values of C1 = 12.1 m, C2 = 14.9 m/s, and C3 = -0.38 m/s2. The velocity at t = 11.0 s can be solved for using these values, but the acceleration at t = 11.0 s is not given. The correct answer for the acceleration is -0.76, but it may not have been accepted by Lon-Capa due to the formatting or input method.
chaotixmonjuish
The position of a particle as a function of time (in s) is given by C1 + C2t + C3t2. Let C1 = 12.1 m, C2 = 14.9 m/s and C3 = -0.38 m/s2.

I was able to solve the first question, which was asking for the velocity at T=11.0 seconds. However, I don't understand how to solve this part of the question:

What is the particle's acceleration at time t = 11.0 s?

I thought acceleration was a constant? I tried punching the constant into Lon-capa, but it said the answer was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
chaotixmonjuish said:
The position of a particle as a function of time (in s) is given by C1 + C2t + C3t2. Let C1 = 12.1 m, C2 = 14.9 m/s and C3 = -0.38 m/s2.

I was able to solve the first question, which was asking for the velocity at T=11.0 seconds. However, I don't understand how to solve this part of the question:

What is the particle's acceleration at time t = 11.0 s?

I thought acceleration was a constant? I tried punching the constant into Lon-capa, but it said the answer was wrong.

Yes, acceleration turns out to be constant. What number did you get for the acceleration?

I got something like -.76 for my acceleration. However Lon-capa rejects it.

chaotixmonjuish said:
I got something like -.76 for my acceleration. However Lon-capa rejects it.

Yeah, -0.76 is the right answer.

Is the question exactly as you posted it?

That's is the question.

chaotixmonjuish said:
That's is the question.

Hmmm... I'm not familiar with Lon-Capa... maybe something about the way you entered it? Did you enter it as -0.76 or -.76 ?

Would that make a difference?

I really don't know. :(

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. Is acceleration a constant?

No, acceleration is not always a constant. It can change depending on the forces acting on an object.

3. What are some examples of constant acceleration?

Some examples of constant acceleration are a free-falling object near the surface of the Earth and a car moving at a constant speed in a straight line.

4. How is acceleration related to velocity and time?

Acceleration is the change in velocity over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

5. Why is it important to understand acceleration?

Understanding acceleration is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. It helps us understand how objects move and how different forces can affect their motion.