Can you calculate V at that point?

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
In summary, when calculating V at a given point, it is not enough to know just the vector E at that point. The integration of the vector E along a path from a known lower bound to the point in question is needed, as well as the vector E at all points along that path. Additionally, this method only works for time-independent electric fields, as time-dependent fields create complications that make it impossible to define an electric potential.
gracy
If you know Vector E at a given point .Can you calculate V at that point ?
Answer is No.Since ##V##=##∫E^→.dr^→##
the integration involves constant of integration and hence boundary conditions (limit of integRation)must be known to find V.
My question is
Isn't dr needed?

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
Answer is No.Since ##V##=##∫E^→.dr^→##
the integration involves constant of integration and hence boundary conditions (limit of integRation)must be known to find V.
My question is
Isn't dr needed?
No, dr is authomatically computed by the process of integration. Rather, what you also need to know in order to compute the integral, is the vector E in all the points of the path you use to compute the integral, not only the vector E in a given point!

--
lightarrow

dr is defined by the path you want to take for integration. The definition of V that you gave is not complete. what is always defined is the potential difference between two points A and B, as VB - VV = -∫E.dr. The integration is from point A as the lower limit to point B as the upper limit. I did not put the vector sign on E and dr, but they must be there. You can choose any path joining A and B and you will get the same answer. The path you choose defines dr.

Likes gracy
gracy said:

E tells you how V is changing (with respect to position) at that point. It doesn't tell you the value of V.

In the same way the gravitational field g tells you how the gravitational potential is changing, but it doesn't tell you its value.

Chandra Prayaga said:
You can choose any path joining A and B and you will get the same answer.
True, provided the fields are time independent.

Likes gracy
blue_leaf77 said:
Absolutely. If the fields are time-dependent, then there is no potential from which the field can be derived by taking the negative of the gradient

blue_leaf77 said:

Just so you understand this Gracy, because the issue of a static versus time-dependent electric field came up in another thread and you asked about it then. The relation
gracy said:
##V##=##∫E^→.dr^→##

makes sense only when the electric field is static. When you study electromagnetism you will look at what happens when the electric field changes in time. Changing electric fields create magnetic fields, the electric field is not conservative, the work done by the electric force is not always path independent, and so it's not possible to define an electric potential V.

Likes gracy
And by the way, I think this is the expression you mean to mention:

$$V_B-V_A=-\int_A^B \vec E \cdot d \vec r$$

1. What is the role of a doctor?

A doctor is a medical professional who is trained and licensed to diagnose and treat illnesses and injuries, as well as provide preventative care and advice for maintaining overall health.

2. Why is medical care important?

Medical care is important because it helps to prevent and treat illnesses and injuries, which can improve overall well-being and quality of life. Regular check-ups and screenings can also help to catch potential health issues early on.

3. Can I skip going to the doctor if I feel fine?

No, it is still important to see a doctor even if you feel fine. Regular check-ups can help to detect any potential health issues early on and taking preventative measures can help to maintain good health.

4. How often should I see a doctor?

The frequency of doctor visits can vary depending on age and overall health. It is generally recommended to have a yearly check-up, but individuals with chronic health conditions may need to see their doctor more frequently.

5. What should I bring to my doctor's appointment?

You should bring your insurance information, a list of any current medications, and any relevant medical history or concerns you may have. It is also recommended to bring a list of questions to ask your doctor during the appointment.