Proving the Circle's Connectedness Using Projection and Open Covers

• Thread starter PhysicalAnomaly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a special property of the projection p: R -> S1 to prove a statement (c). This property involves taking an open cover of S1 and decomposing the inverse image of each set in the cover into a disjoint union of open sets, which are then mapped homeomorphically onto the original set. An example is given using open arcs in S1 whose union is S1. There is a brief discussion about the continuity and connectedness of p and its inverse function, with the final conclusion that the use of disjoint in this context is redundant.
PhysicalAnomaly
We shall prove (c) using just one special property of the projection p :R -> S1 ,
namely:
„
There is an open cover {U_alpha} of S1 such that for each alpha, p^(-1) („U …_alpha) can be
decomposed as a disjoint union of open sets each of which is mapped homeomorphically
onto U _alpha by p.

For example, we could take the cover {U_alpha} to consist of any two open arcs in S1
whose union is S1 .

This is from Hatcher's Algebraic Topology, page 30.

I thought that the circle, S1 is path connected. How then can it be decomposed into the disjoint union of open sets? Furthermore, how can two disjoint open arcs in S1 be the have S1 as their union? What happened to the boundary of the two open sets?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicalAnomaly said:
I thought that the circle, S1 is path connected.

It is. Therefore, it's connected.

How then can it be decomposed into the disjoint union of open sets?

It can't. Reread the snippet carefully. You take a cover of S1, then run it backwards through p. The result is two disjoint open sets in R (not S1!).

You might think "well, p is continuous and connectedness is a topological property?" But that doesn't matter because p^-1 is not continuous.

Also note that a disjoint union of open sets A and B does not, in general, require that A and B be disjoint, although, as Tac-Tics has noted, in this case the inverse image of an open arc in S1 is the union of disjoint open subsets of R.

But p was defined to be p(s)=(cos 2*pi*s, sin 2*pi*s). Doesn't that mean that the preimage of a cover in S1 must cover an interval in R? Also, it says that each p-1(U_alpha) was mapped homeomorphically to U_alpha by p. Doesn't that mean that connectedness must be preserved by the inverse function?

<quote>Also note that a disjoint union of open sets A and B does not, in general, require that A and B be disjoint</quote>

That makes sense! So that means that the use of disjoint here is redundant since when you take a union, you never choose the same element twice. Am I right?

PhysicalAnomaly said:
Also, it says that each p-1(U_alpha) was mapped homeomorphically to U_alpha by p.

No, it doesn't say this. :smile:

I'm probably interpreting this wrongly but doesn't it say:

disjoint union of open sets each of which is mapped homeomorphically
onto U _alpha by p.

Thanks for being so patient.

"each of which" refers to the individual sets whose union is being taken.

If

[tex]p^{-1} \left[ U_\alpha \right] = A_1 \cup A_2 \cup ...,[/tex]

then each [itex]A_i[/itex] is mapped homeomorphically onto [itex]U_\alpha[/itex].

You're right! That makes so much more sense now! The disjoint open sets would then just be the periodic repeats of the arcs. I need to read more carefully. Thank you so much - you've made my day! :)

1. What is the concept of connectivity in a circle?

The concept of connectivity in a circle refers to the idea that all points on the circle are connected, meaning that there is a continuous path between any two points on the circle.

2. How is the circle connected?

The circle is connected through its shape and mathematical properties. The circumference of a circle is equal to 2π times the radius, meaning that a continuous path can be drawn around the circle without any breaks or gaps.

3. Why is it important to understand the connectivity of a circle?

Understanding the connectivity of a circle is important in mathematics, as it is a fundamental concept in geometry and trigonometry. It is also important in real-world applications, such as in engineering and physics, where circles are commonly used in the design of structures and machines.

4. Can a circle be disconnected?

No, a circle cannot be disconnected. As mentioned earlier, all points on a circle are connected, so it is impossible to draw a line that would separate the circle into two or more disconnected parts.

5. How does the concept of connectivity apply to other shapes and objects?

The concept of connectivity can apply to other shapes and objects, but it may not always be as straightforward as in a circle. For example, a square is connected in the sense that all its corners and sides are connected, but it also has diagonals that may not be considered connected. In general, the concept of connectivity can vary depending on the shape and context in which it is being used.