Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isnt this ridiculous

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    i was talking to my friend whos failing chemistry. im getting an A in the class so i try to help her out. anyway we were discussing why she got an 18 percent on her last exam. turns out she doesnt have the math prerequisite for this class. she then said, hey i got an A in algebra 2 in highschool. so i was like no way you liar jokingly, shes like yes i did. so i said to her...tell me quickly, whats log base 2 of 8...figuring thatd be easy..and if it wasnt easy she prob didnt get an A in alg 2.

she said to me. WHATS A LOG? IM LIKE a logarithm...shes like ive never heard of that before. im like how do highschool teachers let kids graduate like this.

ill be honest i didnt take algebra 2 in hs, but i took it in college, and logs was like 2/3 of the course id guess

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Re: isnt this rediculous

Yes, how do they let them graduate like this :rolleyes:

4. Nov 5, 2009 #3

are apostrophies really necessary online? lol? maybe the space between high school was but w/e.

5. Nov 5, 2009 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Commas? I think he was mainly highlighting the apostrophe omissions.

6. Nov 5, 2009 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On the other hand the poster makes no claim to getting an A in English class so the situations are not directly comparable

7. Nov 5, 2009 #6
    oh man you're right!!!
    ;)

8. Nov 5, 2009 #7

You can't be serious.

You are either drunk, or you have never seen a school from inside, much less spent quality time in one. Take a good night's sleep my friend.

9. Nov 5, 2009 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think the point is that if you're going to basically insult someone's intelligence, you should try to do it in a way that doesn't make you seem uneducated as well.

10. Nov 5, 2009 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're like a logarithm? What is that like? :biggrin:

Seriously, I think others are right that you should be careful not to throw stones when your writing is probably as bad as her math. Though, I do agree, how do high school teachers let kids graduate like this! :rolleyes:

11. Nov 5, 2009 #10
    gr8t, u guys r just like wtf and he is like lmao...oh i hate my life! doesn't anybody have anything better to do tonight?

12. Nov 5, 2009 #11
    You definitely killed chemistry between her.

13. Nov 5, 2009 #12
    She probably did get an A and probably turned in all the homework correctly ect... She just probably never really learned any of it. Very common thing to have happen in schools. Honestly im more inclined to believe that someone who gets A's in any given class is much less likely to know the material then someone who gets even C's.

14. Nov 5, 2009 #13

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this supposed to be serious? Obviously some people may get A's by rote memorization and blindly filling in answers but it's unlikely if the course is designed well, and the students who got C's weren't even capable of that

15. Nov 5, 2009 #14

Monocerotis

Gold Member

GUYS! SPELLING AND GRAMMAR ON THE INTERNET ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS

THIS MIGHT LIKE BE ON THE FINAL EXAM AND WE MIGHT FAIL ! OH NO, I NEED TO SPEND TIME EDITING WHAT I WRITE JUST SO SOMEONE WON'T POINT OUT WHERE I MADE A GRAMMATICAL ERROR
    , ON THE INTERNET.

come on...

16. Nov 5, 2009 #15
    duty_calls.png
    :rofl:

17. Nov 5, 2009 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about this approach: if you actually had a reasonable grasp of spelling and grammar, you wouldn't need to spend time editing because you would get it right the first time. Or, at least you'd get it close enough to sound intelligent.

18. Nov 5, 2009 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yah, we get it. But
    1] This isn't just the internet. This is an academic forum with spelling and grammar rules. He could actually be cited for the infraction.

2] In case you didn't get the irony (and I can't see how you could possibly have missed it), the poster was insulting his friend for the very thing he's missing. Actually worse. Algebra is High School. Grammar is Elementary School. Glass houses and all.

We don't normallly take shots at people for grammar. But SS glued some fathers to his butt, handed us all shotguns and then ran around yelling "It's DUCK season!"

19. Nov 6, 2009 #18
    well, she may have gotten through alg 2 in high school, without learning anything, but that's not going to fly in this chemistry tclass. the teacher designs the tests, so that you have to actually think critically, in order to not only ace the test, but to also pass it. thats why 10 people failed, and 3 of those 10 people 9could be more?) have less than 20 percent. As stated, her being one of those.

but the point of the thread was, i just was shocked, as to how someone who claims to have aced algebra 2, has never done logs.

for all the people throwing fits over the compositions of my posts, theres a difference between typing crappy online, and claiming you have mastered algebra 2 in school in real life.
    yeah i agree..
    unfortunately she has a bf..

20. Nov 6, 2009 #19
    my post missed some apostrophies, it was way above elementary level... if im cited for my grammar, than this whole forum needs to be cited. i see so many grammar mistakes on here its not even funny. i wasnt insulting my friend, i was insulting the school system. for a guy in a logically field, youre comprehension skills could use a little tuning ;)

21. Nov 6, 2009 #20

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you actually want to make this point. http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...fifth+grader+writing&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Fourth grade:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook