Isnt this ridiculous

RABBIT season! :wink:

You're entirely missing the point, sportsstar. So, once more, with feeling.

Evidently, from your writing skills, the school system failed not only your friend in math, but you in communication, writing, and basic English skills also. You couldn't take your friend seriously because she didn't know what a "logarithm" was, and yet she'd graduated high school. Fine. We get your point.

However, you don't know when to use "than" as opposed to "then" and you don't appear to know the difference between "your and you're". That's grade school. How on earth are we supposed to take you seriously, then?

I'm hoping beyond hope you get the point, here. It's important. Clear communication skills are critical regardless of the field you're in. If you can't communicate your ideas properly, they're useless.

If your point is to demonstrate to us that the school system not only failed your friend but failed you too, then you've done a bang-up job of that.
i've aced many college level English courses, so i think im doing fine in english,,, even if i was as bad at English as you say though, the way your presenting it to me, is in a mean way, and kind of stating i cant do anything about it. id hope youre not like this with students who actually do struggle in physics.

i've aced many college level English courses, so i think im doing fine in english,,, even if i was as bad at English as you say though, the way your presenting it to me, is in a mean way, and kind of stating i cant do anything about it. id hope youre not like this with students who actually do struggle in physics.
Are you an English major? Just give up man. Earlier someone argued the same thing for more than 5 pages and I believe the thread was locked down because no one wanted to give up.

SportsStar said:
if im cited for my grammar, than this whole forum needs to be cited. i see so many grammar mistakes on here its not even funny.
Many people make occasional grammar and spelling mistakes. You do not make them occasionally and are willfully refusing to abide a simple rule.
We have many members who speak/type english as a second language and they usually are given leniency, but even they actually try.
Since this is GD you may get a pass for a little while but I do not think Evo's patience will extend very far.
If you wish to be taken more seriously and be given more respect then please respect the rules.

Are you an English major? Just give up man. Earlier someone argued the same thing for more than 5 pages and I believe the thread was locked down because no one wanted to give up.
I'm fairly certain this is the same member. ;-)

Sad.

Go educate yourself, somehow. Good luck.

my major is science. im pre dental.

This is the funniest thread I've seen on PF.

LOL I've been reading most of sportsstar469s posts in this thread and I've noted that after people made fun of his grammar mistakes he continued to make them... HAHA (You can tell he was trying to be proper but comma splice errors all around) Oh boy...

@The original post logarithms were something that I first encountered in a course called 'Calculus + Advanced Functions'. Which was a grade 12 course.

We had 4 Academic math courses at my school: Statistics, Functions, Calculus + Advanced functions and Discreet. This has changed since I've been in high school though. I don't think learning the insides and outs of log's is important for an algebra course (we do algebra in grade 8 and nothing about logs). We may have used them once or twice to figure out an exponential variable but we were never taught what they do or look like etc. etc.; only how to push the button on the calculator.

Maybe your friend should get a tutor or take the prerequisite courses from the university.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
ohemgee, you're right! That was sportsstar who started that thread too.

Why, after that whole thread, would he deliberately paint a target on his forehead again?

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You really should do something about your writing, this is ridiculous.

Is this the new Monty Python skit? ...where have I been?

ireallydontseethepointinusinggrammaratallperhapsweshouldjustnotuseiffromnowon

I'm sorry if this hurt any of your heads trying to read it. It hurt mine writing it. I think there is a big difference between the acceptable language in IM, and the acceptable language in a forum dedicated to science and education.

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
I find it absolutely hilarious that people can not find the time to punctuate or spell correctly (which makes a post easier to read by others) but they can take the time to type out the word "like" 500 times in a paragraph.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I think there is a big difference between the acceptable language in IM, and the acceptable language in a forum dedicated to science and education.
This is not merely opinion, it is forum rules, which all of us, including SS, agreed to:
In the interest of conveying ideas as clearly as possible, posts are required to show reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. SMS messaging shorthand, such as using "u" for "you", is not acceptable.

This is not merely opinion, it is forum rules, which all of us, including SS, agreed to:
Well, that being said. This thread should be locked as it has nowhere useful to go from here.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Well, that being said. This thread should be locked as it has nowhere useful to go from here.
Perhaps, though considering it's GD, I haven't seen any real infractions that would warrant it being closed.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think everyone has made their point, so to prevent that this becomes a member-bashing thread I'll just repeat the guidelines that DaveC426913 looked up and close the thread.
In the interest of conveying ideas as clearly as possible, posts are required to show reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. SMS messaging shorthand, such as using "u" for "you", is not acceptable.