1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isn't this strange

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1
    Isn't this strange!!!

Hello,

Sometime ago I realized sth strange for most of the polynomials;

For example, [tex]y=x^2[/itex]

if we take f(x+d) as a multiple of f(x), I mean: f(2)/f(1) = 4 hence 4*f(1) = f(2) so 4 is a multiple of f(1). Now;

[tex](x+d)^2/x^2[/itex]​

as x approaches infinity the multiple approaches 1 !
    doesn't this means that when y=x^2 and x is an infinitly large number, y reaches a constant term, ie never approaches ininity?

I'll be thankfull for your help. I hope I've been able to express what I really mean.
    Thankyou.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2007 #2
    Firstly, f(x+d) is not generically a multiple of f(x). (I'm not sure if you were claiming it was). Secondly, whether or not f(x+d) is a multiple of f(x) has nothing to do with anything here, as you can sesnibly talk about f(x+d)/(f(x) anywhere where f(x) is not zero.

Finally, it is obvious that (x+d)^2/x^2 tends to 1, but this does not suggest that x^2 appraches a constant, merely that x^2 "tends to" (x+d)^2 in some sense, which is intuitive and does not in anyway suggest that either function is bounded above.

4. Sep 8, 2007 #3
    Well, sorry for my wrong words, but what I really mean is different, note the following for y = x^2:

f(2)/f(1) = 4

f(3)/f(2) = 2.25

f(4)/f(3) = 1.7778

and so on... as we divide these consecutive terms the result approaches 1 and at some point f(x+1) = f(x) where x is extreamly large...

which means y approaches a constant term when x approaches infinity...

This is impossible, so I'm puzzeled... :)

5. Sep 8, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

No. There is no point on f(x) = x^2 where f(x+1) = f(x).

As as a limit where x approaches infinity then they are equal, but for any Real value, they are not. Expressing f(x+1) = f(x) differently, you are claiming x^2 + 2x + 1 = x^2 is true for large values of x. Indeed, if it was true, then for large values of x, 2x+1 = 0. Quite false. Just because in the limiting sense the 2x+1 becomes negligible compared to the x^2 does not mean it is not there.

6. Sep 9, 2007 #5
    mubashirmansoor:

You can see that
    [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty } \frac{{x^2 + d}}{{x^2 }} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty } 1 + d/x^2 = 1[/tex]

Clearly,
    [tex]\forall \varepsilon > 0,\;\exists x_0 > 0:\forall x > x_0 ,\;\left| {\frac{{x^2 + d}}{{x^2 }} - 1} \right| < \varepsilon [/tex]
    Simply choose [tex]x_0 = \sqrt {\left| d \right|/\varepsilon } [/tex]

7. Sep 9, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What it means is that f(x)= x2 and g(x)= (x+d)2, for fixed d, are of the same "order": x2= o((x+d)2) which was clear to begin with since they are of the same degree.

8. Sep 9, 2007 #7
    The ratio of F(n) over F(n+1) is going to be smaller as n increases. This is to be expected. So what? It has no bearing on the nature of the infinitesimal.

After all, just n/(n+1) tends to 1, so does the square. We have [tex]lim\frac{n^2}{(n+1)^2}=lim\frac{n}{n+1}*lim\frac{n}{n+1}\rightarrow1*1=1[/tex].

Geometrically, from the standpoint of the derivative we are talking about a tangent between two points that tends to a ultimate of a single point.

From your standpoint, we are looking at [tex] \frac{F(n+1)-F(n)}{1}=2n+1\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

I take this as a case of wholesale confusion between a constant increase and infinitesimal.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  9. Sep 9, 2007 #8
    ohgodicanthelpmyself

let x = -0.5

but I see what you were going for.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?