1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isn't this weird? (convergence of a sequence)

1. Oct 15, 2004 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In order to prove, using the [itex]\epsilon-N[/itex] definition, that the sequence

[tex]\left\{\frac{n^2}{n^2+4}\right\} = \left\{\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}\right\}[/tex]

converges towards 1, I did the following: The sequence converges towards 1 if

[tex]\forall \epsilon>0, \exists N\in\mathbb{R} \ \mbox{such that} \ \forall n\in\mathbb{N}, n>N \Longrightarrow \left|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}-1\right|<\epsilon[/tex]

We have that

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}-1\right|<\left|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}\right|[/tex]

so if we can find the N for the creature on the right side of the inequality, it will also be true for the one on the left side. And then we solve and I spare you the following steps because my question is that if my line of reasoning is correct so far, then proving that there exist an N for the right member proves that there exists an N for

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{n^2}}-a\right|[/tex]

where a in any positive real. So it doesn't REALLY show that the limit is 1 because should I try to prove that the limit is "a, any positive real", I would arrive to the same answer! All it shows is that the sequence converges. Right?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2004 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, we don't. n=1 fails. For large enough n (3 or more), this inequality will be true.

However, you won't be able to bound the right hand thing above by an arbitrary [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]. Forget an arbitrary one, take [tex]\epsilon =1/5[/tex] and you won't be able to do it, since it's false for all n (any epsilon less than 1 will also fail).This thing starts at 1/5 and approaches 1, it's not getting arbitrarily small.

4. Oct 15, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But can you ? Notice that this creature doesn't get smaller than 1/5....ever.

PS : shmoe's post wasn't up when I started...so ignore this.

5. Oct 15, 2004 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. I start again.

The sequence converges towards 1 if

[tex]\forall \epsilon>0, \exists N\in\mathbb{R} \ \mbox{such that} \ \forall n\in\mathbb{N}, n>N \Longrightarrow \left|\frac{n^2}{n^2+4}-1\right|<\epsilon[/tex]

We have that (with some luck),

[tex]\left|\frac{n^2}{n^2+4}-1\right|<\left|n^2-1\right|<\left|n^2\right|=n^2[/tex]

which is an easily tamed creature that produces an N that is true for all N such that

[tex]N\geq \frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon}}[/tex]

So my argument remains, that is to say, isn't it weird that since showing that this converges to 1 is the same as showing that it converges to any a, positive real. So it doesn't REALLY show that the limit is 1 because should I try to prove that the limit is "a, any positive real", I would arrive to the same answer! All it shows is that the sequence converges. Right?

6. Oct 15, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's going to take a lot more than "some" luck !

Try n=1 and see what happens.

And I suggest you don't spend a whole lot of time trying more of these ...any such attempt must fail.

7. Oct 15, 2004 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bad luck!

I found another way of doing it (thanks to Fredrik's trick) that DOESN'T "cause" the paradox I was invoking, so it should be right this time! (notice I used the word "should" :wink:). Here we go again.

We have that, *crossing my fingers*

[tex]\left|\frac{n^2}{n^2+4}-1\right|=\left|\frac{n^2+4-4}{n^2+4}-1\right|=\left|1-\frac{4}{n^2+4}-1\right|=\left|-\frac{4}{n^2+4}\right|=\frac{4}{n^2+4}<\frac{4}{n^2}<\epsilon[/tex]
    [tex] \Leftrightarrow n^2>\frac{4}{\epsilon}\Leftrightarrow n>\sqrt{\frac{4}{\epsilon}}[/tex]

we discarded the option that n was greater than minus the square root because it is trivial by n being a positive interger. So any N satisfying

[tex]N\geq \frac{2}{\sqrt{\epsilon}}[/tex]

is fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?