Isothermal, isovolumetric, and isobaric processes in ideal gases

• Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date
In summary: This most definitely has to be the correct answer. Assuming you didn't forget the negative sign, I can't see anything wrong with it.Did you try out putting in the value of ln(1/2) or changing the base to 10?In summary, the conversation discusses the processes of isobaric, isothermal, and isovolumetric compression of an ideal gas in a cylinder with a movable piston. The work done on the gas is determined for each process, with the isothermal compression resulting in work of -nRTln(1/2)P, and the isovolumetric compression resulting in zero work. The three processes are matched with their corresponding descriptions, and the conversation also mentions the need for a negative
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

One mole of an ideal gas is contained in a cylinder with a movable piston. The initial pressure, volume, and temperature are P, V, and T, respectively. Consider each of the following processes:
· isobaric compression in which the final volume is one-half the initial volume
· isothermal compression in which the final pressure is two times the initial pressure
· isovolumetric process in which the final pressure is two times the initial pressure

Determine the work done on the gas for each process. (Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.):

isobaric compression:

Isothermal Compression:

Isovolumetric compression:

in In operational terms, match each process with its description of how to carry out the process.
isothermal
isovolumetric
isobaric

A. Put the cylinder into a refrigerator at absolute temperature T/2. Let the piston move freely as the gas cools.

B. With the gas in a constant-temperature bath at T, slowly push the piston in.

C. Lock the piston in place and hold the cylinder over a hotplate at 2T.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For Isobaric compression:

Constant pressure , also gas is being compressed so W is positive

so P(1/2)V... since Vf is half Vi

for Isothermal compression:

gas is not under Cp. so evaluate the integral dW=-Pdv

W=-nRTln(1/2)P

and finally

Isovolumetric compression: w=0.

for part b matching the process to the right statement.

Isothermal:B

IsoVolumetric:C

IsoBaric: A

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
All your approaches are correct :smile: Just a minute error, I found..

charmedbeauty said:
gas is not under Cp. so evaluate the integral dW=-Pdv

W=-nRTln(1/2)P

The initial pressure is P, the final pressure is 2P. So what is [itex]ln(\frac{P}{2P})[/itex]? :wink:

Infinitum said:
All your approaches are correct :smile: Just a minute error, I found..

The initial pressure is P, the final pressure is 2P. So what is [itex]ln(\frac{P}{2P})[/itex]? :wink:

oops should be ln(1/2)

charmedbeauty said:
oops should be ln(1/2)

are you sure this is right I put it in as nRTln(1/2) and it said it was wrong??

charmedbeauty said:
are you sure this is right I put it in as nRTln(1/2) and it said it was wrong??

You seem to be forgetting a negative sign.

Infinitum said:
You seem to be forgetting a negative sign.

oops, thanks infinitum

charmedbeauty said:
oops, thanks infinitum

nope still wrong.

charmedbeauty said:
nope still wrong.

:confused:

It seems correct to me, maybe you need to give the value of ln(1/2) or base change it to 10 instead?

Edit : I just re-read the question...

One mole of an ideal gas is contained in a cylinder with a movable piston.

Doh!

Infinitum said:
:confused:

It seems correct to me, maybe you need to give the value of ln(1/2) or base change it to 10 instead?

Edit : I just re-read the question...

Doh!

oh so just get rid of n

charmedbeauty said:
oh so just get rid of n

nope still wrong.

charmedbeauty said:
nope still wrong.

This most definitely has to be the correct answer. Assuming you didn't forget the negative sign, I can't see anything wrong with it.

Did you try out putting in the value of ln(1/2) or changing the base to 10?

1. What is ISO and why is it important?

ISO (International Organization for Standardization) is an independent, non-governmental organization that sets internationally recognized standards for various industries, including processes and systems. It is important because it helps organizations ensure that their products and services are safe, reliable, and of good quality, while also improving efficiency and reducing costs.

2. What are ISO processes and why are they necessary?

ISO processes refer to the established steps and procedures that an organization follows to meet the standards set by ISO. They are necessary because they help organizations achieve consistency and efficiency in their operations, leading to improved quality and customer satisfaction.

3. How do you implement ISO processes in an organization?

The implementation of ISO processes involves several steps, including understanding the requirements of the specific ISO standard, mapping out the current processes, identifying areas for improvement, training employees, and continuously monitoring and improving the processes.

4. What are the benefits of implementing ISO processes?

The benefits of implementing ISO processes include improved efficiency and productivity, increased customer satisfaction, enhanced credibility and reputation, reduced costs, and compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.

5. How can I get help with implementing ISO processes in my organization?

There are various options for getting help with implementing ISO processes, including hiring a consultant, attending training courses, and utilizing online resources provided by ISO. It is also helpful to involve employees in the process and seek their input and feedback.