Calculate Work Done on 2.8kg Aluminum at Atmospheric Pressure

• Thread starter AdnamaLeigh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isobaric
In summary, the thermal coefficient of expansion is given as 2.4 x 10^-5 (degrees C^-1). A 2.8 kg block of aluminum is heated from 20C to 43C at atmospheric pressure. The work done on the aluminum is calculated using different methods and is found to be -19837.5J, however this is incorrect. Suggestions are made to use the specific heat of aluminum and the W=PdV formula to solve the problem. Additionally, the volume of the block can be found by using the density of aluminum at 293K.
AdnamaLeigh
Given: the thermal coefficient of expansion = 2.4 x 10^-5 (degrees C ^-1)

A 2.8 kg block of aluminum is heated at atmospheric pressure so that its temperature increases from 20C to 43C. Find the work done on the aluminum. Answer in units of J.

I originally wanted to do W=P∆V. I could do ∆V=Voβ∆T, however, I do not know how to find original volume (I do know how to find β) since I was not given density.

I tried doing W=P∆V=Nk∆T but I don't even know if that rule is true. But this is what I did:

N = 2800 g Al x (1/26.98 g Al) x (6.022 x 10^23 molecules) = 6.25 x 10^25 molecules of Al

W = (6.25x10^25)(1.38x10^-23)(316-293) = 19837.5J

Work done on the aluminum = -19837.5J However, this is incorrect. Can someone please help? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the specific heat of aluminum? It seems to me that the coefficient of expansion may well be a red herring, of no actual use to the problem.

- Warren

I would try the W=PdV angle.

If you set an arbitrary initial volume of 1 in^3 and use the volumetric expansion of [tex]\frac{\Delta V}{V_o} = 3 \alpha \Delta T[/tex] to calculate your volumetric expansion.

You can then use standard atmospheric pressure in Lbf/in^2 to finish. It will be a small number, but that was the first idea that popped into my mind.

1. What is the equation for calculating work done on a system?

The equation for calculating work done on a system is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. How do you calculate the force on an object?

To calculate the force on an object, you can use the equation F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. What is the unit for work?

The unit for work is joules (J).

4. How do you calculate the work done on a system at atmospheric pressure?

The work done on a system at atmospheric pressure can be calculated by multiplying the pressure (in pascals) by the change in volume (in cubic meters).

5. How can you calculate the work done on a 2.8kg aluminum object at atmospheric pressure?

To calculate the work done on a 2.8kg aluminum object at atmospheric pressure, you will need to know the change in volume of the object. Then, you can use the equation W = PΔV, where W is work, P is atmospheric pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume.