Isoceles Triangle: Find Measure of Angle DFG

• Thread starter Dragondude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangles
In summary: But it's not an angle in triangle fdh, it's an angle in triangle fdh which is NOT isosceles. So, you're correct in that angle fdh is congruent to angle dfg, but it's not an angle in triangle fdh.In summary, the Attempt at a Solution found that angle fdh is 28 degrees. However, angle dfg cannot be determined using the isosceles triangle theorem because angle fdh is not an angle in any isosceles triangle. Angle sum theorem could be used to solve the problem.
Dragondude

Homework Statement

triangle dfg and triangle fgh are isoceles. measure of angle fdh=28. dg=fg=fh. Find measure of angle dfg.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any way of determining that. We can take angle dfg to be any number less than 28, make angle gfh 28 minus that angle, and have the situation you describe.

Could you use SSS or something like that ?

:cry:HallsofIvy are you still there?

:biggrin:I took another look. I would only use the isoceles triangle theorem...right?

Dragondude said:
I took another look at the problem. Could you not use the Isocelses triangle theorem? Then use the angle sum theorem?
:confused:

yup...I'd say you could...though...HallsofIvy is more understanding with mathematics, so you might want to wait for an answer from him for a better perspective.

Thanks Gear300. I will still take your advice on waiting for HallsofIvy to answer. But thanks very MUCH.:approve::biggrin:

Dragondude said:
I took another look at the problem. Could you not use the Isocelses triangle theorem? Then use the angle sum theorem?
:confused:
What do you mean by "the isosceles triangle theorem"? That the base angles are equal? That would help you knew one of angles in one of the two isosceles triangles- but you don't. Are you assuming that the two triangles are congruent? You didn't say that.

Without that, as I said before, you could construct two triangles, having vertex angles that sum to 28 degrees, that would satisfy the conditions here. The vertex angle dfg could be anything from 0 to 28.

:frown:But the Isoceles triangle theorem says that if two sides of a triangle are congruent then the angles opposite those sides are congruent. So if you used that theorem with triangle dfg then you could say that angle dfg is 28 degrees, because angle fdh is 28 degrees. Right? Can you take a look at post #7 where I said maybe I could use only use the Isoceles triangle theorem.:confused:

fdh is not an angle in any isosceles triangle. The base angles of triangle dgf are fdg and dfg. The base angles in triangle fgh are hgf and fhg. fdh is a an angle in triangle fdh which is NOT isosceles.

I checked the book and it said I was right. Here is a picture of the triangle in my book.:confused:

Attachments

• TRIANGLE.jpg
    TRIANGLE.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 419
Thanks. For some reason that wasn't at all how I visualized it! Yes, in that picture, fdh is a base angle in an isosceles triangle and is congruent to dfg.

What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a triangle with two sides that are equal in length and two angles that are equal in measure.

How do you find the measure of angle DFG in an isosceles triangle?

To find the measure of angle DFG, you can use the fact that in an isosceles triangle, the base angles (angles opposite the equal sides) are congruent. This means that angle DGF is equal to angle DFG. Therefore, you can use the equation 2x + x = 180° (where x represents the measure of angle DGF) to solve for x and find the measure of angle DFG.

What is the relationship between the angles in an isosceles triangle?

In an isosceles triangle, the base angles (angles opposite the equal sides) are congruent, and the angles opposite the equal sides are equal. This means that the two equal angles in an isosceles triangle are always equal to each other, and the sum of all three angles is always 180°.

What if I only know the length of the equal sides in an isosceles triangle?

If you only know the length of the equal sides in an isosceles triangle, you can still find the measure of angle DFG by using the Pythagorean theorem. Since the equal sides form a right angle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the base (DF) and then use the method described in the second question to find the measure of angle DFG.

Can an isosceles triangle have more than one angle that measures the same?

Yes, since an isosceles triangle has two equal sides and two equal angles, it is possible for more than one angle to have the same measure in an isosceles triangle. However, the sum of all three angles will always be 180°.