Isochoric Compression Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "isochoric compression" and the confusion it brings as it combines two seemingly contradictory terms. It also touches on the effects of heating or cooling a sealed container of gas, which results in an increase or decrease in pressure respectively. The use of the term "compression" is further explained, with the preference for a more specific phrase to avoid ambiguity.
Gavroy
hi

in school we talked about a process called "isochoric compression". i do not really know what they mean by that, since the word" isochoric" refers to a process that has always constant volume, whereas "compression" makes me think of a change in volume. is there anybody who can explain this oxymoron to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens inside a sealed container of gas if you cool it down or heat it up?

heat up: pressure increases
cool down: pressure decreases

Yes, compression literally means increasing pressure, so that could include increasing pressure isochorically, by raising the temperature, but 'compression' is so generally associated with squashing (reducing the volume) that I keep off the term 'isochoric compression', preferring something more long-winded, like 'isochoric increase of pressure'. Perhaps I'm just a wimp.

Last edited:

Sure, I can explain isochoric compression to you. It is a thermodynamic process in which the volume of a gas is held constant while its pressure and temperature are increased. This may seem like a contradiction since compression typically involves a decrease in volume, but in this case, the volume remains constant while the pressure and temperature increase. This process is often used in laboratory experiments to study the behavior of gases under varying conditions. It is also commonly used in internal combustion engines, where the fuel-air mixture is compressed before ignition. I hope this helps clarify the concept for you.

1. What is isochoric compression?

Isochoric compression is a thermodynamic process in which a gas is compressed at a constant volume, resulting in an increase in pressure and temperature. This type of compression is also known as isovolumetric or isometric compression.

2. How does isochoric compression work?

In isochoric compression, the volume of the gas remains constant, so any increase in pressure must be accompanied by an increase in temperature. This is due to the gas molecules colliding more frequently and with greater force as they are compressed, resulting in an increase in their kinetic energy and thus temperature.

3. What are the applications of isochoric compression?

Isochoric compression is commonly used in various industrial processes, such as in gas turbines and internal combustion engines, to increase the efficiency of energy conversion. It is also used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems to compress and cool refrigerant gases.

4. What is the difference between isochoric and isobaric compression?

The main difference between isochoric and isobaric compression is that in isochoric compression, the volume remains constant while the pressure and temperature change, whereas in isobaric compression, the pressure remains constant while the volume and temperature change.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of isochoric compression?

The main advantage of isochoric compression is that it requires less work compared to other types of compression, resulting in higher efficiency. However, it also has a limited range of applications since it requires a constant volume, and it can be more difficult to control and maintain compared to other compression methods.