1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isochoric compression

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    hi

in school we talked about a process called "isochoric compression". i do not really know what they mean by that, since the word" isochoric" refers to a process that has always constant volume, whereas "compression" makes me think of a change in volume. is there anybody who can explain this oxymoron to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2
    What happens inside a sealed container of gas if you cool it down or heat it up?

4. Feb 6, 2012 #3
    heat up: pressure increases
    cool down: pressure decreases

5. Feb 6, 2012 #4

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Yes, compression literally means increasing pressure, so that could include increasing pressure isochorically, by raising the temperature, but 'compression' is so generally associated with squashing (reducing the volume) that I keep off the term 'isochoric compression', preferring something more long-winded, like 'isochoric increase of pressure'. Perhaps I'm just a wimp.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook