How to Isolate L in a Tricky Equation?

• Thread starter physics7889
  • Start date
In summary, solving for L means finding the value of the variable L in an equation or problem by isolating it on one side of the equation. Isolating L is important because it allows for accurate solutions and simplifies the equation. This is done by using inverse operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Common mistakes when isolating L include not performing the same operation on both sides of the equation and not properly distributing coefficients. If unable to isolate L, other methods such as substitution or elimination can be used, or the equation can be rearranged or simplified before isolating L.
physics7889

Homework Statement

Isolate for L.

-Lsinx=Lsinx -[4.9Lsinx/sqroot(19.6h)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried anything?

thats actually how far i got before i got stuck...

Try factoring an L out of both sides

i got L=4.9/[sinx times sqroot(19.6H)]

but i don't noe if that's right or not

physics7889 said:

Homework Statement

Isolate for L.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you made a mistake before this. It's not possible to solve for L in this equation.

What does it mean to "solve for L"?

Solving for L means finding the value of the variable L in an equation or problem. This is typically done by isolating L on one side of the equation.

Why is it important to isolate L?

Isolating L allows us to find a specific value for the variable and solve the problem accurately. It also helps to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

How do you isolate L in an equation?

To isolate L, you want to get it on one side of the equation by itself. This is done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to cancel out any other terms or variables that are attached to L.

What are some common mistakes when isolating L?

One common mistake is forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation. Another mistake is not properly distributing a coefficient or forgetting to apply the distributive property.

What should I do if I am unable to isolate L?

If you are unable to isolate L, you may need to use other methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for L. You can also try to rearrange the equation or use different properties to simplify it before isolating L.