1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isolated Equilibrium Point

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a simplest linear time invariant system (x dot = Ax), with an Equilibrium Point at the origin; when is the Equilibrium Point isolated?

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

Conceptual Question

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start with the definition of an isolated equilibrium point...

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3
    Can you please redefine it for me? may be i am missing something important?

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about you start by posting whichever definition you have in your text/notes (word for word if possible)

6. Nov 4, 2008 #5
    I know that the linear system can have only one isolated equilibrium point, thus it can have only one steady state operating point that attracts the state of the system irrespective of the initial state. However a non linear system can have more than one isolated equilibrium point.

7. Nov 4, 2008 #6
    Does it mean that the Equilibrium point is isolated when it is stable?

8. Nov 4, 2008 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It means that if there is an equilibrium point of this linear system, it is an isolated point...so is there an equilibrium point for this system?...Under what circumstances?

9. Nov 4, 2008 #8
    ok, i think i understood it, Thanks a lot for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?