1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isolating a variable here

1. Sep 1, 2004 #1
    I'm trying to isolate the i variable in this formula. Thanks for any help.

[tex]\lim_{n->infinity}\frac{5}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{25-\frac{5i^2}{n^2}}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2004 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

i is a dummy variable for the summation. What do you mean by "isolate"? Also by inspection, it looks like the limit can be gotten by integral from 0 to 1 of 5(25-5x2)1/2.

4. Sep 1, 2004 #3
    I'm trying to get i to be by itself inside the summation sign but I don't know how to get rid of that square root.

5. Sep 1, 2004 #4
    :confused:
    I don't understand the last post. But if you want only to calculate the limit, mathman gave you the right direction (integrate)

6. Sep 1, 2004 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You won't be able to isolate i in this equation.

To compute that limit directly, I think you'll pretty much have to do some sort of clever approximation, and prove the error in the approximation goes to zero as n goes to infinity. Actually carrying out this programme is well beyond what would be expected in a calc II Class.

This limit presumably comes from some sort of integral, probably [itex]\int_0^5 \sqrt{5^2 - x^2} \, dx[/itex]. There's a clever choice of partition for which the Riemann sum is much easier to compute, but as mathman was trying to hint, there's a much easier way to come up with the value of this integral...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?