Isolator - AC23A operation

1. Dears,

Can anyone brief what is the operation functionality of AC23A operation of isolators & what is the difference between AC22A & AC23A operation.
  2. jcsd
  3. jim hardy

jim hardy 5,460
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

It would seem it's just a difference in ratings, AC23 being robust enough for more highly inductive loads.

Was that the question?
    There'll be differences in contact size & material, and in the arc quenching apparatus.

This link gives power factor of 65% for AC22, 35% for AC23 protection/Hager_Isolators_Switches.pdf

and suggests that a given switch may be used for more severe duty at reduced current

If you're looking for construction details , i'd take apart a few from different manufacturers to see how they get around one another's patents.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  4. Thank you, even i have the same information as you have told. i would like to know what makes the AC23A duty to give a different current rating than other duty. Also what is the theoretical reason behind introducing such different duties in isolators.
  5. jim hardy

jim hardy 5,460
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

again, protection/Hager_Isolators_Switches.pdf
    Have you ever played with inductors and noticed how the make an arc when you interrupt current?

That is rough service for a contact - it must be made from something that resists arc welding.

e = l di/dt
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted