Isomers of C6H10 and C6H12: How Many and What Are They?

• Thread starter arnav9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomers
In summary, for C6H10, there are either 1 triple bond or 2 double bonds present. The exact number and types of isomers are difficult to determine without listing them all out. For C6H12, there are also 2 possibilities, and the easiest way to find all isomers is to list them out. This can be a complex problem, taking into account symmetry and stereochemistry. To help limit confusion, it can be helpful to consider the number of primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary carbons in the molecule.
arnav9
could someone please tell me how many isomers there are for C6H10 and C6H12, even better could u tell me what they are, I was trying to get them but i keep getting too many repeats

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For n number of carbons you need 2n+2 hydrogens for a carbon skeleton with no double or triple bonds anywhere. so 6 carbons means you need 14 hydrogens, you have 10 which means either a) you have 1 triple bond in there somewhere or b) you must have 2 double bonds. The easiest way to do this is by doing all the compounds with triple bond first and then with the 2 double bond. Right off the top of my head, I do not know the amount of isomers possible. There are ways to find out how many isomers there are for a given formula for a organic compound with just carbons and hydrogens but it is an extremely tough math problem involving graph theory and combinatorics. (c6h12 means you have only 1 double bond of course)

Last edited:
Yes the math for it is complicated I believe, but there is some complex method of figuring out how many isomers there are; best way is just to draw them out :P Think "primary", "secondary" and "tertiary"... It wouldn't help you if we just did it for you because then you wouldn't learn much :P

its not that tough really, its just an "n choose r" type of problem

arnav9 said:
could someone please tell me how many isomers there are for C6H10 and C6H12, even better could u tell me what they are, I was trying to get them but i keep getting too many repeats
I would suggest you list the ones you do have here so that we can see what is missing and then help you to complete your list of isomers.

The Bob (2004 ©)

quetzalcoatl9 said:
its not that tough really, its just an "n choose r" type of problem
It actually is a quite complicated problem in general. You have to take into account symetry to eliminate repititions and you also have to consider the steriochemistry of the situation to find all of the enantiomers. In this case the simplest solution is to list all of the isomers rather than finding a general formula. Even this relatively small hydrocarbon will have one pair of enantiomers:

11111111CH3
11111111CH2
111CH3-*C-CH=CH2
11111111H

111111%1CH3
111111%1CH2
1CH=CH2*C-CH3
11111%11H

The way I did it for hydrocarbons was to consider how many isomers there were given a certain number of primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary carbons. This helped me to limit the confusion somewhat when the number of carbons gets large. And as Euler said you have to account for steriochiometry as well for each isomer with a stereogenic carbon.

1. What are isomers?

Isomers are molecules that have the same molecular formula but different structural arrangements of atoms. This means they have the same number of atoms of each element, but the atoms are connected in different ways.

2. How many isomers are there for C6H10 and C6H12?

There are several isomers for both C6H10 and C6H12. Specifically, there are five isomers for C6H10 and six isomers for C6H12.

3. What are the structural differences between the isomers of C6H10?

The isomers of C6H10 differ in the placement of their double bonds. Some have two double bonds, while others have one or none. They also differ in the placement of their single bonds, which can result in different branching patterns.

4. Can you give an example of an isomer of C6H10 and its structure?

One example of an isomer of C6H10 is 1,5-hexadiene. Its structure consists of a chain of six carbon atoms with a double bond between the first and second carbon, and another double bond between the fourth and fifth carbon.

5. How do the isomers of C6H12 differ from each other?

The isomers of C6H12 differ in the placement of their double bonds and the number of branches in their carbon chain. Some have one or two double bonds, while others have none. They also differ in the placement of their single bonds, resulting in different branching patterns.