Proving or Disproving the Isometry Property with Orthonormal Basis in L(V)

• Thread starter evilpostingmong
  • Start date
In summary, if there exists an orthonormal basis (e1, . . . , en) of a vector space V such that llSejll = 1 for each ej, then the vector S is an isometry. However, if S does not have an orthonormal basis, then S is not an isometry.
evilpostingmong

Homework Statement

Prove or give a counterexample: if S ∈ L(V) and there exists
an orthonormal basis (e1, . . . , en) of V such that llSejll = 1 for
each ej , then S is an isometry.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can't think of a counterexample. I am assuming that since ej is a member
of an orthonormal basis, llejll HAS to be 1 by definition. And if llSejll=1,
then llSejll=llejll. I mean, considering that llSejll=1 for ALL ej,
all ej have 1 as an eigenvalue. Should I go ahead and do the proof, because
I am having trouble seeing how S is not an isometry given the information I posted
above.

Physics news on Phys.org

You could start by proving that every basis vector has the same length after transformation ( Hint: squared length ). And if every vector is a linear combination of these basis vectors, do the same proof has above, with a little more coefficients.

||Sej||=||ej||=1 DOES NOT mean 1 is an eigenvalue with ej as an eigenvector. IF ej is an eigenvector of S with eigenvalue 1, THEN ||Sej||=||ej||=1. The converse is emphatically NOT TRUE. You make this mistake A LOT. Stop it! Construct a counterexample in R^2. Quick. DON'T try to prove it. I know you will throw a 'proof' together. That would be a bad thing.

Last edited:

I digress, but to clear up any misconceptions I have about isometries,
lets say we have a vector (2, 2). apply T (2x2 matrix of rank 1 with sqrt(8)/2 at
the far upper left corner and 0 everywhere else) to (2, 2) to get (sqrt(8), 0).
(2, 2) is not an eigenvector of T and T(2, 2)=/=1*(2, 2). But llT(2, 2)ll=ll(2, 2)ll.

(sqrt(2), sqrt(-1)) Let T be a 2x2 matrix of rank 1 with sqrt(1/2)at the far upper left corner and 0 everywhere else. T(sqrt(2), sqrt(-1))=(1, 0). Now applying T again we get
(sqrt(1/2), 0). llT^2(sqrt(2), sqrt(-1))ll=sqrt(1/2)=/=1. This shows that llTekll=llekll does not imply that
T is an isometry since all isometries are such that llT^kekll=llekll where k is any number >=1.

Last edited:

[tex]\left\|(\sqrt{2},i)\right\| = (\sqrt{2},i) \cdot (\sqrt{2},i)^* = 3[/tex]

GPPaille said:
[tex]\left\|(\sqrt{2},i)\right\| = (\sqrt{2},i) \cdot (\sqrt{2},i)^* = 3[/tex]

Oh right. :rofl: Ok here's plan B. (sqrt(2/3), sqrt(1/3) ). Now
let T's 2x2 matrix be of rank 1 with sqrt(3/2) at the top left hand corner
and 0 everywhere else. Now T(sqrt(2/3), sqrt(1/3))=(1, 0). Now applying T
again, we get (sqrt(2/3), 0). ll(sqrt(2/3), 0)ll=sqrt(2/3).

But you don't have to apply T twice to see that (1,0) do not preserves length. Write it in term of the basis vectors. And you will see that only one basis vector preserves its length.

1. What is an isometry in math?

An isometry in math is a transformation that preserves the distance and angles between points in a geometric figure. This means that the size and shape of the figure remains unchanged after the transformation.

2. What are some examples of isometries?

Some examples of isometries include translations, rotations, and reflections. These transformations can be applied to geometric figures such as triangles, squares, and circles.

3. How do you prove that a transformation is an isometry?

To prove that a transformation is an isometry, you need to show that it preserves distance and angles. This can be done by using the distance formula and the properties of congruent angles.

4. Are isometries only applicable to 2-dimensional figures?

No, isometries can also be applied to 3-dimensional figures. In this case, they preserve the distance, angles, and orientations of the figure.

5. What is the importance of isometries in math?

Isometries are important in math because they help us understand and analyze geometric figures. They also have practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, architecture, and engineering.