1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isometries (Translations)

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    Prove that every non-zero translation Tb is a composition of two reflections in lines which are perpendicular to the direction of vector b.

Note: Tb(z) = z+b where z,b[tex]\in[/tex]C

My guess at how to start this is to assume b = rei[tex]\theta[/tex] where r = |b| and [tex]\theta[/tex]=arg b, so then the direction of b is b/|b| = ei[tex]\theta[/tex]. Therefore the unit vector with the direction orthogonal to b would be c = ei([tex]\theta[/tex] + [tex]\pi[/tex]/2). From there, I am shaky about what to do. I attempted to create two reflection f,g that reflection over lines with the same direction as c and I attempted to do g[tex]\circ[/tex]f and I should end up with Tb but my work gets more and more complicated.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What kind of formula do you know for a reflection? The reflections you are talking about not just reflections through the origin. You'll never get a translation out of that.

4. Mar 31, 2009 #3
    I know M(z) = a(z-bar)+b, where |a| = 1 and a [tex]\neq[/tex] 1, a(b-bar) + b = 0

and i also know M(z) = z0 + ei2[tex]\eta[/tex](zbar - z0bar)

5. Apr 1, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You seem to be confusing "reflection" with "rotation". [itex]re^{i\theta}[/itex] will give a rotation by angle [itex]\theta[/itex] together with an expansion (or contraction) by r, not a reflection. Given any point p, draw the straight line between p and Tb(p) and draw lines L1 and L2 perpendicular to that line 1/3 and 3/4 of the way between p and Tb(p). If R1 is reflection in L1, R1(p) will be the point, p2, exactly half way between p and Tb[/sup](p), and reflection of p2 in L2 will be Tb will be Tb(p) itself. Show that successive reflections of any point x in L1 and then L2 will give Tb[/sup](x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook