1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isometry problem, pls help

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let (K, d) and (K', d') be two compact metric spaces and let f:K-->K' and g:K'--->K be isometries. Show that f(K)=K' and g(K')=K

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that isometry implies that I can find one-to-one correspondence mapping, but not sure how to show both function and inverse function are subjective. Please help. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2
    I can't follow your attempt: we are not looking to 'find' a map. Could you please write out your work in full. It also helps to write out the definitions of the key terms: e.g., isometry, compact.

Are you aware of the theorem which says that an isometry [tex]h:X\to X[/tex] on a compact metric space X is surjective?

If so, the result you want to show is just a corollary of this. If not, then this is a good statement to prove.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook