Isomorphic automorphisms

• Thread starter happyg1
  • Start date
In summary, we are looking for an example of an abelian and a non-abelian group with isomorphic automorphism groups. A possible example is Z2 xZ3 and D3, which have the same group order of 6. To find their automorphism groups, we need to show that these two groups are isomorphic. This can be done through brute force by checking all possible mappings between the two groups. Alternatively, we can look at the cyclic group generated by g, which has 6 possible homomorphisms that may give isomorphisms.
happyg1

Homework Statement

Give an example of an abelian and a non-abelian group with isomorphic automorphism groups.

The Attempt at a Solution

My classmate talked to our professor and he hints that Z2 xZ3 and D3 (or D6..depends on your notational preference it's the triangle) MIGHT be correct...prove or disprove...

I see that Z2xZ3 is of order 6 and so is D3. So lovely, off to a good start. At least we start with the same group order.

I need to find the Automorphism group of each set to show that these 2 are isomorphic...(IF they even are) and this is where I can't go any further.

D3 is not abelian but Z2 x Z3 IS abelian and I'm looking at the automorphism groups of each one.

How do I get these automorphism groups? I just am drawing a blank here. We know that each one has the identity Aut, but then how do we define the other ones. We've confused ourselves!

EDIT: So are the automorphisms of D3 [tex]1, r, r^ 2, a, ra, r^ 2a[/tex] where 1 is the identity and r is a rotation by 120 degrees and a is a flip through the vertex angle? Or is it something else?

CC

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
happyg1 said:
How do I get these automorphism groups? I just am drawing a blank here. We know that each one has the identity Aut, but then how do we define the other ones. We've confused ourselves!
The problem is small enough to be solved with sheer brute force.

Each of these groups has 6 elements, and can be presented with two generators. Therefore, there are only thirty-six ways to map the two generators back into the group; you can go through each one and see if it extends to a homomorphism, and if that homomorphism is an automorphism.

After doing the first few, hopefully you'll get some ideas on how to greatly accelerate the search... :smile:

happyg1 said:
EDIT: So are the automorphisms of D3 [tex]1, r, r^ 2, a, ra, r^ 2a[/tex] where 1 is the identity and r is a rotation by 120 degrees and a is a flip through the vertex angle? Or is it something else?

CC

Those are the elements of D_2.3, not automorphisms of it. An automorphism of a group is an isomorphism from it to itself.

Auts of Z_2 x Z_3=Z_6 are easy, since that is a cyclic group generated by g say of order 6. Any hom of Z_6 is determined by where it sends g, and there are 6 possiblities - how many of those give isomorphisms?

1. What are isomorphic automorphisms?

Isomorphic automorphisms are mathematical concepts that refer to the symmetries or transformations of an object that preserve its structure and properties. In other words, isomorphic automorphisms are mappings from an object to itself that do not change its fundamental characteristics.

2. How do isomorphic automorphisms differ from regular automorphisms?

The main difference between isomorphic automorphisms and regular automorphisms is that isomorphic automorphisms preserve the structure and properties of an object, while regular automorphisms only preserve its structure. This means that isomorphic automorphisms are more restrictive and will result in a more identical object after the transformation.

3. Can you provide an example of an isomorphic automorphism?

One example of an isomorphic automorphism is the rotation of a square. The square will remain the same after the rotation, preserving its structure and properties, making it an isomorphic automorphism. In contrast, a reflection of the square would be a regular automorphism, as it preserves the structure but not the orientation of the square.

4. What are some applications of isomorphic automorphisms?

Isomorphic automorphisms have various applications in mathematics and other fields, including computer science, physics, and chemistry. In computer science, isomorphic automorphisms are used to optimize algorithms and data structures by finding equivalent but more efficient solutions. In physics, isomorphic automorphisms are used to study the symmetries of physical systems. In chemistry, isomorphic automorphisms are used to understand the properties and behavior of molecules.

5. Isomorphic automorphisms seem complex. How can I better understand them?

Isomorphic automorphisms can be a challenging concept to grasp, but there are various resources available to help you better understand them. You can start by studying group theory, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with symmetries and transformations. You can also find online tutorials, videos, and practice problems to improve your understanding of isomorphic automorphisms.