1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphic polynomial rings

1. Mar 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am required to prove that [tex] F_5[x]/(x^2 + 2) isomorphic to F_5[x]/(x^2 + 3) [/tex]

now I have the solution in front of me so I more or less know what's going on, however there are some points of confusion......

....the solution states that [tex] x \rightarrow 2x [/tex] will define the desired isomorphism. The next line asserts that

[tex] x^2 \rightarrow (2x)^2 + 2, 4x^2 + 2= -(x^2 -2) = -(x^2 +3) [/tex]

[tex] x^2 = -2=3 [/tex] ............?????:confused:

..what is going on here surely [tex] x^2 \rightarrow 4x^2 [/tex]

since [tex] U(x^2) = U(x)U(x)= 2x2x = 4x^2 [\tex]

anyway this is not my only problem with the solution I have, it then goes on to assert that indeed the two rings are isomorphic and further that,

U(a + bx) = a + 2bx is such an isomorphism

The proof of this says

U((a+bx)(c+dx)) = U(ac + adx bcx +bdx^2)= U(ac + 3bd +(ad + bc)x) = ac +3bd +2(ad+bc)x = *1

U(a +bx)U(c+dx) = (a +2bx)(c+2dx) = ac + 2adx + 2bcx + 4bdx^2
    = ac+ 3bd + 2(ad + bc)x = *1

fantastic! execept look at term 4 2 lines up, 4bdx^2 = 12bd=2bdmod 5 and not =3mod5.....:confused:

so what am i missing here?
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2007 #2
    I don't quite understand your first problem, but for your second problem you should set [tex]x^2=-3=2(mod 5)[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?