How Can Isomorphic Tangent Spaces Help Understand Derivations?

• Thread starter CMoore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tangent
In summary, the geometric tangent space \mathbb{R}^n_a is isomorphic to the space of all derivations of C^{\infty}(\mathbb{R}^n) at a, denoted by T_a(\mathbb{R}^n). This isomorphism is represented by a linear map \phi that sends each v_a in \mathbb{R}^n_a to the operator that represents the directional derivative evaluated at the point a in the direction of v. To prove that \phi is an isomorphism, it is sufficient to show that it is a bijection. This can be done by showing that the kernel of \phi only contains the 0 vector in \math
CMoore
Hello,

I am trying to understand how the geometric tangent space [tex]\mathbb{R}^n_a[/tex] given by

[tex]
\begin{displaymath}
\mathbb{R}^n_a = \{(a,v) | v \in \mathb {R}^n\}
\end{displaymath}
[/tex]

is isomorphic to the space of all derivations of [tex]C^{\infty}(\mathbb{R}^n)[/tex] at [tex]a[/tex], denoted by [tex]T_a(\mathbb{R}^n)[/tex].

According to the book "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" by John M. Lee, an isomorphism between these spaces is given by a map that sends each [tex]v_a[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n_a[/tex] to the operator that represents the directional derivative evaluated at the point [tex]a[/tex] in the direction of [tex]v[/tex]. If [tex]\phi$[/tex] denotes the proposed isomorphism, we can write

[tex]
\begin{displaymath}
\phi (v_a)(f) = \widetilde{v}_a(f) = v^i \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}(a)
\end{displaymath}
[/tex]

for any [tex]f \in C^{\infty}(\mathbb{R}^n)[/tex].

To show that the (clearly linear) map [tex]\phi[/tex] is an isomorphism we must show that it is a bijection. Now, to prove that [tex]\phi[/tex] is 1-1, from linear algebra we know that it is sufficient to show that the kernel of [tex]\phi[/tex] contains only the [tex]0[/tex] vector in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n_a[/tex], denoted by [tex]0_a[/tex]. This means that we must show that the only element of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n_a[/tex] that satisfies [tex]\phi (v_a)(f) = 0[/tex] is [tex]0_a[/tex].
So, suppose
[tex]
\begin{displaymath}
v^i \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}(a) = 0
\end{displaymath}
[/tex]
If we can show that each component [tex]v^i = 0[/tex] injectivity will follow - and this is where I am stuck. Any ideas?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
why not choose to evaluate the directional derivatives on nice choices of f, eg the function that picks out components.

Indeed; that is what the author does. He uses the standard coordinate functions for this purpose. But how can such a selection be justified? The relationship should hold not just for particular choices of f but for any f. Obviously, I'm being dense here, but I just can't see it...

Eh? You want to show that the resulting object (thing with [itex]\partial_x[/itex]) is not zero, it suffices to demonstrate so by finding a function, f, on which it doesn't vanish. Since v_i is not zero for some i, it follows that evaluated on the function that gives the i'th coordinate (the derivative is just v_i) is not zero.

Last edited:

What is an isomorphic tangent space?

An isomorphic tangent space is a mathematical concept used to describe the relationship between two different manifolds (or curved spaces) that have the same shape or structure. It is a way of saying that two spaces are equivalent or identical, even though they may appear to be different at first glance. In other words, they have the same geometric properties and can be transformed into each other through a continuous and invertible mapping.

How is an isomorphic tangent space different from a regular tangent space?

A regular tangent space is defined for a single manifold, while an isomorphic tangent space is defined for two different manifolds that are isomorphic. In other words, an isomorphic tangent space compares the tangent spaces of two different spaces, while a regular tangent space only describes the tangent space of a single space.

What is the significance of isomorphic tangent spaces in mathematics?

Isomorphic tangent spaces are important in mathematics because they allow us to compare and relate different spaces that have the same underlying structure. This can help us understand and analyze complex mathematical objects and systems, and make connections between seemingly unrelated concepts.

How do you determine if two tangent spaces are isomorphic?

To determine if two tangent spaces are isomorphic, you need to find a continuous and invertible mapping between them. This means that there must be a way to transform one space into the other without any sudden jumps or breaks. Additionally, the mapping must preserve the geometric properties of the spaces, such as angles and distances.

What are some real-world applications of isomorphic tangent spaces?

Isomorphic tangent spaces have applications in various fields, including physics, computer science, and economics. In physics, they are used to study the properties of quantum particles and their interactions. In computer science, they are used in machine learning and data analysis to compare and classify different datasets. In economics, they are used to model and analyze complex systems such as financial markets and social networks.