1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphism help

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is there an isomorphism from <R,+> to <R+,[tex]\times[/tex]> where [tex]\phi[/tex](r)=0.5[tex]^{r}[/tex] when r [tex]\in[/tex] R?

2. Relevant equations
    For an isomorphism I know it is necessary to show there is a 1-1 and onto function. I am unsure if I can use the steps I am trying to use to show it is 1-1.

3. The attempt at a solution

For phi(r)=phi(s) I want to show r=s. Am I able to take the ln (or log?) of both sides to get ln(.05[tex]^{r}[/tex])=ln(0.5[tex]^{s}[/tex])? I am not sure which to use (ln or log) and where these logarithmic functions would be defined since for r=s, r and s are supposed to be real numbers.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe try rewriting 0.5^r=0.5^s as 2^r=2^s. This may make things cleaner.

4. Sep 13, 2008 #3
    I don't know how to make that change?

5. Sep 13, 2008 #4
    Even if that way does clean it up, is my way of taking ln of both sides wrong?

6. Sep 13, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, just use logs. (0.5)^r=(0.5)^s iff r*log(0.5)=s*log(0.5). That shows it 1-1. Is it onto? But 1-1 and onto doesn't make it an isomorphism. You have to prove things like phi(r+s)=phi(r)*phi(s), right?

7. Sep 14, 2008 #6
    Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?