1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphism math question

1. May 16, 2005 #1
    Am I doing this right? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Let T:U ---> v be an isomorphism. Show that T^-1: V----> U is linear.

i. T^-1(0) = 0

ii. T^-1(-V) = -T^-1(V)
    T^-1(-0) = T^-1(0+0)
    = T^-1(0) + T^-1(0)

T^-1(0) = 0
    T^-1(-V) = T^-1((-1)V)
    =(-1)T^-1(V)
    = -T^-1(V)

If T[x,y,z] = [x-y, y-z, x+z]
    Then T is one-to-one right?

How do I show that T is onto?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2005 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what is your definition of isomorphism?

my definition of isomorphism for a linear map T:U-->V is that there exists a linear map S:V-->U such that SoT and ToS are both the identity maps.

then my version of your statement would be to show that a bijective linear map is an isomorphism, i.e. it has an inverse which is linear.

i.e. to answer you question, your definition of isomorphism probably assumes T is onto.

4. May 16, 2005 #3
    An isomorphism is something that is both one-ton-one and onto. But, we were also given that if T: W-->V and S:V-->U are linear transformations, then SoT:W-->U is linear.

5. May 16, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[itex] \hat{T} [/itex] linear:

[tex] \hat{T}(ax+by)=a\hat{T}(x)+b\hat{T}(y) [/tex] (1)

There exists [itex] \hat{T}^{-1} [/itex] so that [itex] \hat{T}^{-1}\left(\hat{T}(x)\right)=\hat{1}x=x [/tex] (2)

Therefore

[tex] \hat{T}^{-1}\left(\hat{T}\left(ax+by\right)\right)=\hat{1}(ax+by)=ax+by [/tex] (3) (by virtue of the definition of isomorphism of vector spaces)

From (1),it follows that

[tex] \hat{T}^{-1}\left(\hat{T}\left(ax+by\right)\right)=T^{-1}\left(a\hat{T}(x)+b\hat{T}(y)\right) [/tex] (4)

Now,again from (2),i write

[tex] ax+by=a\hat{T}^{-1}\left(\hat{T}(x)\right)+b\hat{T}^{-1}\left(\hat{T}(y)\right) [/tex] (5)

Comparing (3),(4) & (5),one gets

[tex] T^{-1}\left(a\hat{T}(x)+b\hat{T}(y)\right)=a\hat{T}^{-1}\left(\hat{T}(x)\right)+b\hat{T}^{-1}\left(\hat{T}(y)\right) [/tex] (6)

Q.e.d.

Daniel.

6. May 16, 2005 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

by the way, you may not appreciate this for a while, but the word isomorphism should not be defined as your source does, but as i did above. the point is that my definition works for all types of maps, linear, continuous, differentiable, group homomorphism, whatever.

i.e. in many settings a morphism which is one one and onto is still not an isomorphism; e.g. the map taking x to x^3 on the real line does not have a differentiable inverse, but is one one and onto, hence is not a differentiable isomorphism.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?